Author Topic: Baked Cabecou  (Read 2532 times)

jamesblair76

Baked Cabecou
« on: August 20, 2018, 03:19:09 AM »
Hi,

I though I should share a lesson I learned yesterday.

I was making a batch of cabecou, which I had success with in January. Same recipe, but used MO036 culture instead of flora Danica, because I'd run out.
2 L goats milk
1/32 tsp MO036
1/64 tsp PC
Speck GC
2 drops liquid rennet

Milk at 22C, add cultures+rennet, leave for 24hrs (ish).

Being winter, I put the pot in my bain Marie with a PID controller keeping the water underneath at 23C. This worked well for the first 12-14hrs. The pH wasn't dropping as fast as I would have liked, but the milk temp was still spot on 22C.

I should mention that I'd previously noticed the PID temperature fluctuating sometimes. Ie, it'll jump up and down 5C within a few sec, I think a fault in the sensor.

Anyway, when I checked it at around 24hrs,the PID was somehow at 63C, and the milk at 46C.

The chooks enjoyed the curd.

Technology is great when it works.

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Re: Baked Cabecou
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 03:35:43 AM »
So sorry to hear that.  I love Cabecou....I make it fairly often.  When I want to give a special little gift and I don't want to give a fresh Chèvre, Cabecou is my answer.  Mine always develops a delightful citrus lemon background flavor.  Have you noticed that with yours?

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

jamesblair76

Re: Baked Cabecou
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 06:47:29 AM »
I can't say I've noticed. I've only made it once successfully though.