Author Topic: Bitter Taste for Triple Creme  (Read 2433 times)

Gilded Fern

Bitter Taste for Triple Creme
« on: August 23, 2018, 12:56:09 AM »
Good evening,

I made a triple creme about 12 days ago. Standard recipe https://cheesemaking.com/pages/search-results-page?q=triple+creme. Although it looks nice, it has too much of a bitter after taste. The cream/paste is very nice. There is almost no odor to the cheese. There is no ammonia smell.

With the higher fat content, I am wondering if the end-products from fatty acid breakdown are the culprit and wondering if I can tweak the starter bacteria or the yeast/mold cultures.

I used M4001 (mesophilic and thermophilic)
Geotrichum candidum 17
P. Candidium ABL

The outer layer does not seem to be bitter. In the meantime, I have placed the cheese in cheese paper and into the fridge. Will re-taste in about 7-10 days to see if further ripening may help the taste.

Thank you for the help!

Deborah

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Re: Bitter Taste for Triple Creme
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 03:32:10 AM »
Hey there

I make a lot of Triple Creams. While I don't think it is the thermophile that is causing your problem with bitterness (I'm betting it was most likely too much rennet did that)
I'm wondering why you chose to use a Farmstead culture instead of a straight meso--making triple cream you never get high enough temp to have the thermophiles really do anything much. Can you share with us what your thinking was there?

Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.