Author Topic: Ricotta Salata take III  (Read 5766 times)

dc-k

Ricotta Salata take III
« on: August 24, 2018, 07:09:04 PM »
Third attempt at this cheese with whey from a Leiden cheese. yield was good and this one I salted daily for four days and then matured for another three days. I had to remove mold with a light brine rub and then I dried and vac packed it and left in cave at 13c for another ten days.

I've just tasted it and it's really nice. A very mature cheese flavour and a smooth but firm texture.

River Bottom Farm

Re: Ricotta Salata take III
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 03:41:17 AM »
Good job dc-k. Do you have a picture to share?

dc-k

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 02:32:11 PM »
Good job dc-k. Do you have a picture to share?

I surely do :) Still in its vac pack - I'll try to remember to take one when I next open it!

The black specks are from the truffle salt I use.

dc-k

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »
Ricotta Salata IV:

Exactly as before except that I vac packed after a few hours of pressing and salting. It matures nicely in a cave at 13c and has a decent flavour after a couple of weeks.

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 10:03:36 AM »
It's salted ricotta,  or did I miss something?

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 11:18:48 AM »
I believe that's the literal translation :-)  (and also exactly what you do -- drain it for 24 hours, dry salt it, age it). I actually just made one last week and have it ageing in my cave.  Not exactly sure how to go about it as it's super high moisture.  I've heard that you can age it for quite a while and make a grating cheese out of it if you want.  Or you can eat it young... which I think I'll probably do.  I had a sneaky taste of a corner of mine and it taste quite nice.