Author Topic: Slight Mistem Miss  (Read 2353 times)

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Slight Mistem Miss
« on: August 31, 2018, 01:01:58 AM »
I keep threatening to talk about my aged, acid coagulated, non-rennet cheeses, but I never do.  I'm in the middle of building a web page that describes what I'm doing, but I'm lazy and never finish it, so here's a link to my unfinished page, in case you are interested in what I'm doing: https://mikekchar.gitlab.io/mistem-cheese/.

I made cheese yesterday.  Only a 1 litre make.  It was homogenised milk, so the yield is higher (opposite than rennet cheeses ;-) ).  Yield after draining is 180g.  I use a hoop made out of a PET bottle and I'm currently in the process of making a bigger one (especially so I can get the height of the cheese lower than the width).  Here's pic of it.  Sorry for the poor picture quality:

It didn't really go well yesterday.  You can see the very open structure of the cheese.  It's my first time with this milk and I'm not sure it's going to work out.  Also, it's the first time I've used this particular technique with homogenised milk.  When I first started, I just ripened the milk for 45 minutes and then added about 3-4 g of citric acid dissolved in water.  I've since changed to ripening for about 3 hours and then adding about 1 g of citric acid (or less).  Here's a picture of a more typical  cheese (although it's been aged for about 2 weeks):

The picture on my website is from a 9 week old cheese that was made with 500ml of unhomogenised milk, so it was very small.  It dried out quite a bit, but was delicious (despite the little bit of mildew you see adorning the rind). Here's a pic of the paste for one of the same size that isn't so dried out:

Anyway, I'm half tempted to get some gorganzola and rub a paste on this one, because with that open structure it would make a nice blue (and this cheese tastes *amazing* as a blue), but my original plan was to eat it fresh, so I think I'll carry on with that plan.

This kind of cheese works really well both as a fresh cheese and aged.  Using a long ripening period the cheese (as you would probably expect) has very similar texture and flavour as a young goat's cheese.  As I use cow's milk, it's much more delicate a flavour, but it's quite nice.  I guess the main difference is that it is not spreadable.

As it ages, it picks up a piquant flavour.  The aroma moves slightly towards that of parmesan, though the flavour never does.  In the first 2 weeks or so, it has a flavour very similar to Caerphilly and a similar texture, although less crumbly.  After that the flavour kind of "closes" -- in other words, it becomes less distinct, and the paste gets creamier.  Somewhere in around the 2-4 week mark, I would say that I don't really like it.  The combination of the texture and flavour reminds one of cream cheese (which I'm not a big fan of).  As the paste dries out, though, the texture firms up and the flavour improves dramatically.  I have no cheese to compare it to as it's a flavour I've never had before in cheese.  I suppose if I'm pressed, imagine a raclette with the cheese being melted -- that's probably close.  I should also point out that the cheese melts very well and has a nice flavour (although quite mild in the first month or so).  I had it in a cheese omlette and on potatoes and it worked very well (my wife was astounded as she did not have much faith in my experiments).   Finally between 2-3 months (the longest I've aged it), the flavour gets more intense.  This is probably the sweet spot for this cheese, but since I've been making piddly sized cheeses to experiment with, they are getting pretty dried out by that point.  I'll be upping the sizes over time.

As I said, I've experimented with blues.  Originally by accident -- the wild blue in my area is amazing for some reason.  As you can see, the interior of the paste is very closed, so it never gets any veining -- but if I cooked the curd a bit I think that would not be a problem to fix.  I've also experimented with a washed rind.  B. linens showed up wild after my 3rd cheese or so.  It freaked me out at first, but once I learned what it was, I decided to go with it.  The result was extremely nice, but the bacteria dried off and I never got a soft paste.  Which might be good because I have a really hard time getting a decent rind on these cheeses.  It's *very* thin (and susceptible to breaking down easily).  It's much more like ageing a lactic goat's cheese (which, again, stands to reason).  I'm going to try a bloomy rind, which I expect to work reasonably well, but I keep wondering if a proper washed rind will just end up in a puddle.  It's on my list of experiments, though.

Finally, I also tried with a mesophilic culture (from butter milk culture).  It results in a much more open structure (very similar to the cheese I made yesterday).  It's hard to keep the blue off of it.  However, the flavour is really nice.  I had one that I aged for about 6 weeks and it had a nice young cheddar/colby flavour going on.  I would have liked to have aged it longer, but I was fighting a losing battle with blue mould.  Will try again.

I should also mention that all of my ageing is in my normal refrigerator at about 6 C (43 F).  I don't have a cheese fridge yet.  I recently scored the marital achievement of being given permission to purchase one, but as I'm travelling a lot this fall and winter, it will have to wait until the new year.  Still, given that I'm making up this style of cheese, I think it's fine to say that it should be aged in the fridge :-)  Would love to try ageing it at 13 C, though.

I've been loathe to post my experiments here because I really don't know what I'm doing.  But as I've been making these cheeses I'm getting a bit more confidence.  No matter how much I'm stumbling around trying to figure out what works best, all of the cheeses have been *really* delicious.  I had a cheese board out with a decent compte and caciocavallo (both commercial) along with my cheese.  Mine definitely held it's own (especially the blue!), so I figure I might as well encourage other people who might think that this is crazy.

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
Re: Slight Mistem Miss
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 01:48:40 AM »
That's all pretty interesting.  I'm impressed at your success.

Interesting story about the source of your cheese's name (on your site). 
- Andrew

Offline TravisNTexas

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Sweet dreams are made of cheese...
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »
I think what you are doing is pretty fascinating.  I don't have a cheese cave yet either unless I take over the wine fridge that my cigars are in (not going to happen!).  Enjoyed your site too.  I did not know that "pseudonymously" was even a word  ;)
-Travis

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 11:25:34 PM »
Ha ha!  Think it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to spell that  ;D

I'm hoping to update my site tomorrow with updated information and hopefully some pictures.  I'm also planning to write a series of "experiments" that people can do that demonstrate some of the important beginner points for making cheese.   So, for example, making yogurt with milk that has been scalded and then making yogurt with milk that has not been scalded; trying to cut the curds in yogurt to drain whey; making whole milk ricotta with UHT milk, with pasteurised milk at a high temperature and at a low temperature; what happens if you try to melt the aforementioned ricotta cheeses; etc.  These were basically all the steps I went through when I was trying to figure out how to do this and it gave me a basis for questioning what's going on with the milk.  From there, I could more easily formulate questions that I could feed into Google to understand the chemistry of cheese making.

My main motivator in doing this kind of cheese was that everybody said that it was impossible.  I took that at face value, but I couldn't find any reasonable explanation of *why* it was impossible.  I decided that I would try to find out and in the process discovered that it's *not* impossible (much to my surprise).  Since then I've found out that there are people who make clabbered cheese, which is made from allowing raw milk to sit at about 20 C until it coagulates, putting it in a mould and allowing it to age.  There is even a commercial cheese maker: https://www.sullivanspond.com/weblog/2007/06/29/bonnyclabber-country-cheese-process-photos/comment-page-1/ What I'm doing is not that different.  Even my main realisation that you can melt the curds of acid set cheeses came from some Youtube videos of women in India and Pakistan doing it (although I did it once myself by accident, and couldn't replicate it, which prompted my search of the internet).

It's funny.  I started this project out of curiosity and also because I needed to prove to my wife that making cheese was something I wasn't going to get bored of after 3 days (and clutter out small apartment with unused equipment... um... not that it has ever happened before...)  I always intended to start making "real" cheese as soon as possible.  But the more I do this, the more questions I have and the more experiments I want to do, so I wonder if I will ever get around to buying rennet...

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 01:51:44 PM »
Well my wife and I ate half the cheese today.  In 180 grams I'd added 5.5 grams of salt (dry salting).  It was a *tad* too much.  I'll probably shave a gram off.  As I somewhat expected, the paste was grainy and soft, which was a bit disappointing.  The pH had definitely gotten too low when forming the curds.  I'll have to try again with that milk, but only have about 45 minutes of ripening before adding the citric acid.  Tomorrow I'm going to make cheese again (as long as the typhoon that's coming isn't too bad).  I've got my normal non-homogenised milk, so hopefully it will turn out well.