Author Topic: Taking the temperature of the milk and then curds  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Taking the temperature of the milk and then curds
« on: September 03, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »
I make my cheese in a double boiler (one smaller kettle inside a larger one) and when I measure the temperature of the milk or the curds the temperature varies depending on the depth to which I insert the probe. I presume that that is quite normal given the height of the column of milk and the source of the heat towards the bottom (and sides) of the inside container. When the temperature of the recipe calls for 90 F or 100 F from where does one measure the temperature- from just below the surface, from just above the bottom, from the side or the center? And if the range of the temperature is 5 F or more how concerned should I be? (My working assumption has been that the recommended temperatures are more like ball park figures than anything hard and fast but that is just an assumption: that said, the cheese I make turns out without any obvious problems. Thanks

River Bottom Farm

Re: Taking the temperature of the milk and then curds
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 06:34:50 PM »
It makes a huge difference in the quality of the finished cheese to be out even 2 degrees. Stirring before renneting and cutting to even out the temp will help a lot. Temperature gradients mean moisture gardients which mean un even ripening and maturation. (None of that is good)

Offline Bernardsmith

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Re: Taking the temperature of the milk and then curds
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »
Thanks River Bottom Farm. This is very helpful.