Author Topic: Feta aging question?  (Read 4284 times)

GigiSideboard

Feta aging question?
« on: November 21, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
Hello blessed cheesemakers,

As a beginner cheesemaker, I have dutifully worked my way up the mascarpone, paneer, cottage and cream cheese chain to now arrive at my first feta attempt.  I have chosen this recipe for my endeavor:

http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/feta.html

One question:  do I age my feta in the house fridge or on the counter?  I am using raw cow’s milk from my neighbor’s farm and I plan on aging it for at least 60 days. 

Thanks for the help!
Gigi

River Bottom Farm

Re: Feta aging question?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 05:05:27 PM »
I use the same recepie usually. There isn't any need to age this cheese. You basically make it, hang it untill it reaches terminal pH (around 4.3) then cut it and brine it. At that point the brine will preserve the cheese (stored in the fridge) for a long time without it spoiling but the flavor won't change really at all with aging.

One other note: save whey to make your brine and add 1tbs calcium chloride per gallon to the brine or you may end up with feta that softens in the brine

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:24:23 PM »
I made a successful batch in january, it's november and I still have about 1/4th of it left in brine in the refrigerator. I love having it available and it isn't changing. I made a cow's milk feta and then a 10% brine, so it's not too salty for my taste. It's a beautiful cheese, not too strong, which I find if I buy it in the supermarket.

GigiSideboard

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 09:19:54 PM »
Thanks all!  I appreciate the tips and will let you know how it turns out.

5ittingduck

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 05:10:22 AM »
If you do decide you want to age it, can I suggest persian style, in Olive Oil.
I regularly age my raw cow's milk feta over a year to get a really full flavoured cheese. 
I use 80% EV Australian Olive Oil and 20% Canola (it prevents crystallization at fridge temperature) and cut my feta into cubes and age in jars at 11 Celcius (usually with Basil leaves and Garlic).
I don't like my feta too salty, but I like a full flavoured cheese and this works best for me. 
The reserve oils are also full of flavour and great over pasta ;)
Reminds me, I should make next year's batch soon.....

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 07:31:39 AM »
Just a quick warning: ageing garlic in oil is apparently a common cause of botulism.  The bacteria that produces the toxin can grow completely anaerobically and without the acidic environment, there is nothing to check its growth.  Garlic is apparently a problem because the bacteria can survive deep in the clove even if you boil the oil first.  Sorry, I'm a bit busy right now (should be working!) so I can't find you any links, but I recommend checking it out if you are (or are thinking about) ageing garlic in oil.

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 03:18:43 PM »
MikeKChar is right about the garlic, and fresh basil has the same issue in oil. Thanks for catching that Mike.

I found this publication about acidifying CHOPPED garlic and herbs (but not whole), for safety reasons, before putting them in oil.
https://www.cals.uidaho.edu/edcomm/pdf/PNW/PNW664.pdf

GigiSideboard

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 03:42:22 PM »
I’m pretty happy with how the cheese turned out.  I took the advice of using whey and calcium for the brine.  No slime!  I wish a had not cut the pieces so thin.  I believe I would have gotten better texture with thicker slabs.  It’s a very salty cheese, but it will work well for salads. 

River Bottom Farm

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 01:44:24 AM »
Good job AC4U! Yes it is a salty recepie but the salt is what makes it able to store for a looong time