Author Topic: Selling Home made cheese  (Read 3464 times)

Drew

Selling Home made cheese
« on: December 17, 2018, 05:59:35 PM »
Hi all,
I am looking to start making cheese and thinking long term.  I have mentioned to friends and family about my new hobby and they have expressed interest in purchasing what I make.  Is there anyone in Washington that has gone through the process to ensure all legal requirements are met?  If so, I would love to chat with you and find out all the necessary items to do it.  It is something I would like to keep on a small scale.  Not trying to compete with Sargento! HAHA

SOSEATTLE

Re: Selling Home made cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 03:28:08 AM »
I took the WSU short course several years ago. It would be a great place to start. There were several inspectors in the class also that provided their perspective on commercial cheesemaking on a small scale. Not inexpensive, but I would say worth it. It's coming up relatively soon if you can make it. 
https://creamery.wsu.edu/educational-opportunities/cheesemaking-shortcourse/
That being said, I am just a home cheesemaker and have not plans at this time to go commercial.

Susan

Drew

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 02:43:38 PM »
thanks for the info! I will check it out.

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 04:09:02 PM »
Hi all,
I am looking to start making cheese and thinking long term.  I have mentioned to friends and family about my new hobby and they have expressed interest in purchasing what I make.  Is there anyone in Washington that has gone through the process to ensure all legal requirements are met?  If so, I would love to chat with you and find out all the necessary items to do it.  It is something I would like to keep on a small scale.  Not trying to compete with Sargento! HAHA

Send a message to the guy who started the thread below.  I know he's just been down the path that you are considering:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,16642.msg127717.html#msg127717
- Andrew

ophiuchus_99

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 07:11:49 AM »
Hi all,

I have ventured into this arena.  Here is a link to my story.

http://blog.cheesemaking.com/eric-olsons-amazing-mobile-cheese-truck/

Feel free to reach out to me and I can give you some insight as to the process of becoming a legal cheese manufacturer.