Author Topic: Crucolo Cheese  (Read 1709 times)

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
Crucolo Cheese
« on: December 19, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »
Does anyone know what 'kind' of cheese this is?
It is made in Northern Italy.
Cow's milk.

I'd love to make this kind but I'm not seeing recipes for it anywhere. It is really good.

It's a buttery tasting cheese with a tangy end. More chew to the drier outside, and a creamier center.

Please move this post if you have an idea of the kind of cheese this is. Hopefully someone has a recipe for it or a similar kind of cheese. Thank you in advance.

River Bottom Farm

Re: Crucolo Cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 03:16:44 AM »
Looks to be an asiago like cheese with lots of mechanical openings (pressed lightly). http://www.cheeselibrary.com/crucolo.html

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 02:42:44 PM »
I think you are right River Bottom Farm!

I've just never seen it before. I was noodling around on google and found this article:
http://www.janetfletcher.com/blog/2018/3/3/cheese-for-the-record-books
The recipe is similar to Asiago, says Anderle, but the family’s maturing methods confer Crucolo’s signature taste.

Similar to Asiago but not the same. It would probably go here: RENNET COAGULATED - Hard Cooked (Swiss)

I haven't tasted asiago in ages. Usually asiago is compared with parmesan and romano--but this crucolo is much milder, not aged as long. I may have to try making it, pressing it lightly (as you said) and aging it 2 months.

River Bottom Farm

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:24:37 PM »
That is an awesome article! What better way to sell a 400lb wheel of cheese than to parade it down the street!

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »
That is an awesome article! What better way to sell a 400lb wheel of cheese than to parade it down the street!
I did smile and kind of laugh at that too! A cheese-a-bration!