Author Topic: Fourme d'Camembert?  (Read 2223 times)

Smidgen

Fourme d'Camembert?
« on: January 02, 2019, 05:45:10 PM »
I made an attempt at Fourme d'Ambert not too long ago and some of it tasted amazing.  The outer part of the cheese had turned soft with a bit of sweetness and there was a nice blue flavor.  The inner part of the cheese was not yet ripe and tasted bitter.  I cut off the outer part and devoured it within a few days, and continued to age the inner part in the regular fridge.  After a week or two it was just like a store bought blue cheese and also got eaten within short order.  I decided to try this recipe again with the goal of making more of that super tasty outer layer.  So this time I made 2 discs of cheese instead of 1 larger cylinder.  I also used culture from a Cambozola that I grew on a piece of bread and then froze.  The previous cheese had been inoculated with some blue cheese crumbles so I guess its no surprise that this cheese turned out differently.

I can post the details if anybody wants them but basically this is a Fourme d'Ambert recipe with 8 quarts PH cows milk and 1 cup cream.  For the mold I took some Cambozola black label and rubbed the rind on a piece of sourdough bread and then incubated it in a ziploc bag for about a week.  The cheese was lightly pressed in 2 of the 5-3/8" Tomme moulds and then brined.  Aging was 4 weeks in the cheese fridge at 54 F and 1 week in the regular fridge. 

The white mold in the Cambozola really took over more than I wanted.  At about 2 weeks the blue showed up and the resulting bloom looked like one of my plush bath towels.  And that's what it felt like too!  I decided not to use the cheese as a bath towel though. 

Today I cut into one of the cheeses and its really good!  The blue flavor is not as strong as I would like.  This cheese is more like a Brie but the middle has not yet fully ripened and still has a mild blue cheese flavor with some of the crumbly, slightly bitter taste you'd expect from a blue.  The rind is nice and chewy with a fantastic mushroomy flavor.  The color is really cool too, I love the 2-tone rind.  If you like the taste of Brie and want something a bit different this would be a great cheese for you.  Can't wait to make a grilled cheese sandwich out of this thing.  I'm going to try this strategy again with straight PR and see what happens.

Offline Dbrush

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: Fourme d'Camembert?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 09:16:17 PM »
Realize this is an old post so perhaps I won't get a reply.  However this is something I am exploring, a surface blue ripened cheese, and I'd love some more details on the make.  Have you repeated this?  Or has anyone else done something similar that they can share?  It looks really pretty.  Very instested in how it was inoculated and what was done to get such an even blue rind.
Thanks!