Author Topic: Manchego Yumminess  (Read 1941 times)

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
Manchego Yumminess
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:17:54 PM »
I don't think there are any sheep in Florida :)  So I made this out of raw goats milk, which we have in abundance.  I used the Manchego recipe (and mold) from here https://cheesemaking.com/collections/recipes/products/manchego-cheese-making-recipe.  I intended on buying the 4# mold, but dumb me I goofed and got the 2# mold, which was disappointingly small.  Still, I got 3 gallons of milk in there and 3# of cheese out of it. 

Just out of the mold. 

Dry-salting (instead of brining)

After 2 weeks, I coated with olive oil.  I added annotto to give the cheese a cool yellow rind, and some paprika to fill in the "groovy" pattern.  I don't think the water-based annotto from the cheese supply places would mix with the oil, so I extracted this annotto from seeds into olive oil. 

Just cut it.  I have (too) many old dry crumbly cheeses here, so I cut this one a little early to ensure it was still flexible.  It sure is.  Just wonderful, with a buttery nutty flavor.  I can't stop eating it. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 11:41:54 PM by pastpawn »
- Andrew

rgreenberg2000

Re: Manchego Yumminess
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 11:44:44 PM »
That is beautiful, and one of the cheeses I'm building up to!  I saw your post on HBT when you made this.....looks like it turned out exceptionally well, Andrew!

Can you share your pH targets/measurements from this make??

Rich

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 11:50:02 PM »
That is beautiful, and one of the cheeses I'm building up to!  I saw your post on HBT when you made this.....looks like it turned out exceptionally well, Andrew!

Can you share your pH targets/measurements from this make??

Rich

I don't recall taking pH measurements.  I love that you ask me that though.  I used to collect that info all the time, but I never really knew what I was shooting for, so I just let it rip and hope for the best now (except for biologically cultured mozz, which is an ongoing nightmare for me).  But I might have measured pH.  I'll dig out my cheese logbook (which is in the attic) and if I have numbers, I'll post. 

Did you see the link above?  It's the basic recipe.
- Andrew

rgreenberg2000

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 12:19:26 AM »
Thanks, Andrew.  If you can find them without much effort, that's great!  If not, I'll randomly assemble some targets from the Internet, and see how it goes! :)

I did see the link, yes, thanks!  I've been eyeing that one, and the one in Karlin's book.  I don't have the fancy mold, but maybe the birthday fairy will bring me one.

R

River Bottom Farm

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 03:36:46 AM »
Nice looking cheese pastpawn. AC4U

Offline TravisNTexas

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Sweet dreams are made of cheese...
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 01:14:10 PM »
Just awesome Andrew!  AC4U!
-Travis

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 07:32:25 PM »
Beautiful - AC4U!

Incidentally, I discovered a powdered spice labelled as Annato in the supermarket. Not sure if it is a form of the same thing as what we use in cheese-making, but it is a nice red-orange color.
-- Andy

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 08:52:18 PM »
Beautiful - AC4U!

Incidentally, I discovered a powdered spice labelled as Annato in the supermarket. Not sure if it is a form of the same thing as what we use in cheese-making, but it is a nice red-orange color.

I can get the whole seeds in the spice aisle of our ordinary grocery.  That's what I used.  I suppose you could extract color from powder too.
- Andrew

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 05:18:58 PM »
AC4U Andrew
You know I make all my Manchegos from goats milk.  My Spaniard friends living here say it tastes just like "back home". So that's a great compliment.
Since my goats are La Mancha, I call mine "La Manchego".

How long did you age it?
I used to take mine out to 6 months, but the flavor and texture is much more authentic and incredible at 1 year.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 03:12:38 AM »
AC4U Andrew
You know I make all my Manchegos from goats milk.  My Spaniard friends living here say it tastes just like "back home". So that's a great compliment.
Since my goats are La Mancha, I call mine "La Manchego".

How long did you age it?
I used to take mine out to 6 months, but the flavor and texture is much more authentic and incredible at 1 year.

6 or 7 weeks.  I'm normally pretty patient, but I've never tasted a hard cheese early.  I don't regret a bit.  I might still age half though.  I'll probably make another soon. 
- Andrew

PacoSEDG

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 11:29:43 AM »
That is a pretty awesome wheel  ^-^

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2020, 05:03:48 PM »
The recipe has been changed to Hispanico.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2020, 11:01:49 PM »
Ha ha.  Good timing.  I was just thinking it's time to make a Hispanico!

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 03:36:05 AM »
Beautiful - AC4U!

Don't!  The annatto used in cuisine only works when it's sauteed in oil.  You can't use it in cheesemaking.  Trust me, I tried.

:)

-L