Author Topic: Danisco vs Biena vs Saccico Clerici  (Read 2883 times)

rkampa

Danisco vs Biena vs Saccico Clerici
« on: January 18, 2019, 02:28:06 PM »
Newbie here so be patient.  As far as I can tell there are 3 companies that make starter culture.  Is here any differences in the three companies.  I am sure all 3 make starters for the same cheeses but call them different names.  Looking at making my first cheese (gouda) in a couple of weeks.  Still building my cheese press.  Any information would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

rkampa

Re: Danisco vs Biena vs Saccico Clerici
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 02:42:56 PM »
Ok - started reading a few other threads - I've got a lot to learn.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 02:07:44 AM »
There are likely some differences in how the cultures are formulated - particularly if it is a blend, the proportions may be different. But I would say you could use any of them with good results. I mostly use Danisco, just because that is what I can most easily get; the main exception is Flora Danica (by Hansen? I think), which I use fairly often.

A highly recommended resource: Giancalis Caldwell, Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking - tons of helpful information, including the various types of bacteria and yeasts and such, and which are contained in various brands.
-- Andy

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »
I believe one of the absolute best investments you can ever make to your cheesemaking journey is to buy, use, study, use, read, study, and use Giancalis' book, like Andy said.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline Aymerick

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 04:31:54 AM »
There are likely some differences in how the cultures are formulated - particularly if it is a blend, the proportions may be different. But I would say you could use any of them with good results. I mostly use Danisco, just because that is what I can most easily get; the main exception is Flora Danica (by Hansen? I think), which I use fairly often.

A highly recommended resource: Giancalis Caldwell, Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking - tons of helpful information, including the various types of bacteria and yeasts and such, and which are contained in various brands.

How can we find the strains of this ?Giancalis Caldwell
A fat man making cheese in Xinjiang, China!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 03:54:08 PM »
Giancalis Caldwell is not a type of culture, but rather the name of an author. She wrote the book, Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking - this is what I was (and am) recommending. I ordered my copy through Amazon several years ago; it looks like it is still available there (and also in Kindle format). If Amazon is not accessible to you, you would need to try other book sellers to see if they can get it for you.
-- Andy