Author Topic: Beer Cheese  (Read 1092 times)

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
Beer Cheese
« on: January 21, 2019, 05:31:42 PM »
I haven't been on the forum lately.....sucky internet for weeks, but it's finally better. (One of the small prices to pay for living in a developing country.)
So, I'm making several posts today to somewhat get "caught up"
Not sure why all my pics are loading sideways, but I you'll "get the picture."

This is a beer infused milled curd that friends love here for a snack.  Eaten early.
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Beer Cheese
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 03:24:01 PM »
I think I've posted it before, but here it is again - a program I wrote a few years back for my own use to solve just this problem. When it comes to correcting the rotation, some forums do a better job than others, but also some cameras / phones (especially iPhones) do a worse job than others. This program allows you to do two things that are helpful for preparing pictures to upload to a forum - it can rotate them (by a fixed amount, or attempt to automatically detect the rotation - generally it works well), and it can optionally shrink them to a smaller format. The latter is particularly helpful for pictures viewed on a screen - the extra pixels just create overhead - and for slow internet connections - the large pictures take up a lot of bandwidth.

So, as a demo, here is the picture you posted after running it through the RoShrink program. The original was 1.8M in size, 4032x3024 pixels (way more than the resolution of most computer screens). The RoShrunk version is 768x1024 pixels and only 98k in size - 18 times smaller in terms of storage/bandwidth, but big enough to show nicely on most screens. On my screen, I can't tell any qualitative difference between the original and this one, except that this one is oriented correctly. :)

The link below is to a .zip file; if you want to give it a try, unzip the files into a convenient folder (there is the RoShrink.exe program file, plus 4 supporting .dll files). Then simply run RoShrink.exe. You can select files to rotate and/or shrink using the Add Files button, or you can drag-and-drop files into the list. You can also select files in Windows Explorer, right click, ,and select RoShrink as the program to run. Select the size you want the pictures to be, and select whether you want them to be auto-rotated, fixed-rotated 90° or 180°, or no rotation. Select what sort of output you want - you can place the RoShrunk files in a different directly, or write them to the same directory with -rs added to the name, or overwrite the original (be careful with that one - once overwritten, you can't undo it!!). There are a few options under the File menu item - whether to warn before overwriting, whether to clear the list once it has been processed, and whether to automatically create the output directory if it doesn't exist.

If you'd rather have the source code, or use a platform other than Windows, I'm happy to share it. The program uses the wxWidgets interface library, which means that it can be compiled for Windows, Linux, or Mac. (I don't have a Mac, so haven't tried that one, but at least in theory it should work.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:40:24 PM by awakephd »
-- Andy

Offline GortKlaatu

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Goat milk?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 01:31:01 AM »
Thanks Andy....that's great info
Normally I don't have a problem...it seems to be a random occurrence.  In the past, when it would happen, I would just delete the photo, rotate it to compensate and Voila!  Of course, that didn't address the size.

I do a lot of photography so by default I always hate to lose the size--though I know for theses purposes it really doesn't matter.
Also, just for and FYI--I'm a huge MacHead
Somewhere, some long time ago, milk decided to reach toward immortality… and to call itself cheese.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »
Ah - one of these days I want to get hold of a Mac and figure out how to set up the development tools so that I can compile programs like these for the Mac. As I said, the wxWidgets library is intended to allow generation of programs for Mac/Windows/Linux using the same source code, so in theory it should be pretty simple.
-- Andy