Author Topic: What storage containers are good for ripening boxes?  (Read 3477 times)

MinaL

What storage containers are good for ripening boxes?
« on: February 03, 2019, 06:01:14 PM »
Hello.
New to cheesemaking and we are at the stage where our asiago is air drying and need to come up with a ripening box soon!  We've searched through this site and seen some people using what look like regular storage bins with latches and others using strictly food storage container like Rubbermaid Takealongs.  How critical is it that it be 'food grade'?  The Sterilite containers we've seen are just for regular household storage?  We can't seem to find a food container to fit our asiago!
Any insight would be helpful as well as possible name brands??

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: What storage containers are good for ripening boxes?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 06:34:06 AM »
I just use food storage containers from the equivalent of the dollar store here.  There are plasticisers that will leach out of some plastics and are unsafe for food.  Most of the problems I've heard about involve heating the plastic, but I still wouldn't use non-food oriented plastics.  Other than that, I think anything will do.  I suppose size is potentially a problem if you made a really big cheese.  Advice I've heard is to choose a ripening box that is mostly empty after the cheese is in it.  This is so that you have some air circulation.  In my limited experience, I've had containers that were mostly full and some that were probably about half empty.  The ones that are mostly full tend to have mould problems. YMMV.  The closer the cheese is to the side of the box, the more humid it will be along the side, so you want to have something where the amount of space is fairly uniform if possible (i.e. a square box rather than a rectangular one).  The final thing is that you don't want to have the cheese sitting on the bottom of the box.  I have boxes that have slotted boxes as inserts and that works really well.  However, it's pretty common to use a small stainless steel rack in the bottom.  You can also cut a bamboo mat to size and put it in the bottom, but it is harder to disinfect (I use them sometimes and steam them in a large pot.  This seems to work well.  I have gotten infections that were obviously from the mat before, though, so be careful).  In a pinch, I have even seen people just line up some stainless steel or bamboo skewers along the bottom and rest the cheese on that.

River Bottom Farm

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 06:07:02 PM »
I use a plastic cupcake carrier I found at a swap (free) shed. I put a plastic ripening mat in the bottom and the cupcake holders hold it up off the bottom. I'm sure you can find something that would work at a thrift store if you get a little creative. Just starsan (dis infect) it before you use it.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mina!

As the others have said, I would stay with food-safe containers. But also as mikechar has said, it doesn't have to be fancy - for some cheeses I make I've been using the cheapest containers I found at WalMart for some years now. I keep expecting them to give out, and when they do, they will be cheap to replace - but so far they continue to work just fine. On the other hand, for a 7" diameter cheese, I'm using a RubberMaid container. For a really large cheese, I have been known to use a Tupperware cake carrier!
-- Andy

Bluehorse

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 08:16:43 PM »
The most common used by home cheesemakers in Australia is a bpa free 3.5L microwave container from a plastics company called 'decor'.   The beauty of this one is it comes with a drying rack with good spacing which sits nice and high.   I've seen them for anywhere from $5 to $15 (AUD) so it pays to be patient.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 04:09:09 PM »
I've actually had good luck with a set of bamboo steamers that are used in Chinese cooking. I put a pan full of water under the bottom most steamer to allow for a source of moisture in my "cave" (a converted refrigerator). The bamboo steams are round so they give plenty of space around the cheese wheel for air to circulate, are slotted, to allow for air flow vertically, and are tall enough to allow for stacking. Also, at an oriental market, they are not expensive!

Offline Littlest Goat

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 04:34:51 PM »
I am glad this topic has come up. Right now I am using various plastic boxes found at the thrift store. Including one that would hold a cake. However in trying to think about how to get away from plastic I have been wondering about : ceramic crocks, wooden box( probably would have to build) and terra cotta pot on a saucer ( possibly new flower pots.) On that last idea I have read a bit on some sourdough sites where people are baking in them. And seem to believe they are safe. The idea is to still have the cheese on rack and mat inside. Also thought the porous unglazed clay would work to absorb and release moisture. Downside is it is kind of awkward to handle . But seems like something to explore. Just always feel plastic is so un- inkeeping (is this a word)with making an artisan cheese.