Author Topic: Overpressing  (Read 2529 times)

rkampa

Overpressing
« on: March 06, 2019, 03:10:40 PM »
I've made two cheeses so far so I guess I'm still a noobie.  I've made a gouda and a caerphilly. Both have about a month to age. The question I have is overpressing.  I know you are over pressing if you get a milky whey out of the cheese but are there any other issues with over pressing.  I had 2 gouda's (3.5" dia mold) with about 60 lbs on them and about the same for the caerphilly.  It is possible to press to hard and seal in the whey (encapsulate)?  Would pressing to hard make the cheese tough?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Overpressing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 03:49:18 PM »
Yes, you have put your finger on  the major issue - if you put too much pressure too quickly, you can close up the rind before all the whey has drained. This can lead to sour off-taste.

However, once you have reached a point that the rind is closed, I don't think it would necessarily hurt to add more pressure ... it just won't do much of anything, and wastes time. :) Also, with a cheese that is salted after pressing, you do need to factor in the continuing drop in pH while in the press. Depending on your milk (how much it buffers) and cultures used, you can leave it too long in the press, letting the pH go too low, and wind up with a cheese that doesn't really match what you are aiming for. My first two or three Goudas were a case in point - they tasted good, mind you, but they were more like a semi-sorta-cheddar than a Gouda, both in taste and in (crumbly) texture. Once I got a pH meter, I discovered that with my store-bought milk, the pH was dropping much faster than the recipes assumed, so I had been leaving them in the press way too long before salting.
-- Andy

rkampa

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 07:07:32 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'm eagerly waiting for the aging to be completed.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:10:33 PM »
Yes, the waiting is the hard part! The key, for me, is to mix between making short-aging cheeses like Camembert or Caerphilly, medium-aging cheeses like Gouda or Asiago or some of the blues, and long-aging cheeses like cheddar ... or even parmesan, which really needs a minimum of two years, and three is better!
-- Andy