Author Topic: Manchego mould - how to use?  (Read 3953 times)

Mina

Manchego mould - how to use?
« on: April 03, 2019, 08:47:16 PM »
Hi
Just purchased a manchego mould and just wondering if any can give some advise as to how to use it?  Plan on making a 100% ewes milk manchego YEAH!
The insert is very tight in there and I read in previous posts about sanding an edge down to make it fit better which I plan to do but I have some questions on the process.  Do you use muslin and then 'naked' for the final pressing to get the detail? 

I'm excited to use this mould, but don't want to muck it up! ;)

Thanks

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Manchego mould - how to use?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 04:30:44 PM »
Hi Mina,

Thanks for asking this question as I'm looking for the same answer.  Some day I hope to get ewe's milk from my sheep flock and then yes I'll be making Manchego!  I have dabbled around trying to put cheese curds in basket molds and with cheesecloth/muslin the pattern does not come through.  So I'm thinking along the same lines as you, for the initial drain/press one would use cheesecloth but when it starts to knit up a bit, go "naked" as you say.  I'm sure there is a trick to it and I'm hoping along with you that someone with experience will give you (and I) some tips.  Perhaps there is an existing post on the subject but thus far I have not run across one.

Susan

rgreenberg2000

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 05:09:44 PM »
I don't have direct experience with this, since I'm expecting to receive my Manchego mould as a birthday gift this month.....however, I have been researching Manchego recipes, and what I've seen is that people have had success using a cloth in the mould, using the mould naked (not sure I'd try this), or going clothless in the final pressing.

I think my plan is going to be to use a cloth in the mould and see how the pattern transfers that way.  If I'm not happy through the first press or two, then I'll just go clothless for the final.

I'm really looking forward to using this mould, and wish I could just find some sheep's milk! :)

HTH,
Rich

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 05:46:51 PM »
Rich--I think it will be hard (and expensive) to find sheep's milk, although I'm pretty sure there are a few sheep dairies in the general Bay Area--north in the Petaluma area?  One good thing is it can be frozen and still produces good results for cheesemaking.

As for me, I only get access to it thus far when opportunity arises...my sheep are not trained for milking so on the occasion I do milk, it can be quite a rodeo (but that's another story).

Another thought is that using sheep's milk for cheesemaking may very well be like learning the process all over again as I've heard it reacts quite differently than cow's milk.  I see in this forum's library there is an article with recipes about using sheep milk, but it is overall quite general.  I'm on the look for more resources/recipes on this subject for sure.  Meanwhile making Manchego with cow's milk may not be a bad way to start...Susan

rgreenberg2000

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 06:44:59 PM »
Susan, there are definitely dairy farms around (within 1-3 hours drive), but given what I expect the expense to be, I honestly haven't spent much time looking into it.  I also am still a novice cheesemaker, so would hold off using expensive milk until I have honed my skills/process a bit more.  I do have a manchego I made with cow's milk that is currently aging, and the next one I try I will add lipase powder.

Been making cheese since January, and I still haven't eaten anything except for cream cheese! ;)

R

Mina

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »
Quick update on using my manchego mould.
First - I used my dremel sander to sand the insert a little so it would come out easier. This seems to be a typical thing.  I only shaved a bit off because I didn't want a huge 'lip' there.

I used the cheese cloth for the first pressing.  When it came time to redress and flip, I noticed the pattern right away.  The curds were knitting well so decided to go naked from there on..
The next sets of flipping were incredibly easy!  I did note that it was easier to put the whole mold on its side and then slide out the insert/cheese.  Slid out easily without fear of 'tearing' any of the lovely pattern.

A little dissapointed with the total yield from the 2 gallons of sheep milk....final weight of the cheese was 1.3k

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2019, 06:25:32 PM »
Wow, Mina, the cheese looks perfect and beautiful!  Thanks so much for letting us know how to mold up a Manchego!  (I still don't know how you were able to do it without disrupting the pattern). This deserves a cheese for you!

Your yield is almost 50% more than what I'd expect from cow's milk.  Were you expecting more than that?  Do you know what breed of sheep milk you are using?  The traditional dairy sheep breeds I think produce a less dense milk (less solids/more water) than other breeds (for example, my Icelandic sheep produce a very dense milk).  Kind of like the difference between Jersey cow and Holstein cow milk...Jersey has more butterfat and I think solids in general than Holstein and thus cheese yield is higher using the latter.

Thanks again for the info and the pic!  And of course let us know what it tastes like...how long will you age it for?

Susan

Offline TravisNTexas

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Sweet dreams are made of cheese...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 01:15:30 PM »
Mina that's awesome.  Very well done!  AC4U!
-Travis

Mina

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 01:41:48 PM »
Thanks Travis!

Susan - we were actually told by the sheep diary here in Ontario to expect about 230g per liter of milk.  This is her normal yield when they make products for sale.  That's why I'm assuming the shortfall is down to my technique.  I have 6 gallons left so I'll compare yield after making some crotonese and a romano.

I plan on 'testing' the cheese in about 4 months.  But most likely will age it longer.  Depends on my patience...or lack thereof  ;)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 02:14:46 PM »
Beautiful results - AC4U! Now just waiting on the taste test ... :)
-- Andy

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 12:11:30 AM »
Another cheese for you :-)  I just noticed that you are in Toronto (which isn't too far away from where I used to live in Ottawa :-) ).  Out of curiosity, where are you getting the sheep's milk?

Mina

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 01:57:46 AM »
I was able to buy direct from a dairy in Fergus....Best Baa Dairy.  About a 90 minute drive from Toronto.  Great people!

Stinky

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 08:45:41 PM »
That's a fine-looking cheese, and good to know w.r.t. the mold.