Author Topic: Caciotta  (Read 6327 times)

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Caciotta
« on: April 08, 2019, 02:15:21 AM »
With only 5 weeks before I go to the UK, I decided for a more fresh style cheese.  I also wanted to try something where I didn't press it at all.  This comes from https://cheesemaking.com/collections/recipes/products/caciotta-recipe

• 4l milk
  • 50ml Bulgaria brand yogurt
  • 1/4 tsp of calcium chloride
  • 16 drops of double strength rennet
  • Fully saturated brine

(Or whatever  is normal for 4l of milk for you for the CaCl2 and the rennet). Here is the Japanese website for the yogurt: https://www.meijibulgariayogurt.com/ I've used this yogurt many, many times for my non-rennet cheeses and it works very well.

• 55 min ripening period at 37C
  • Add CaCl2.  Wait for 5 min.  Add rennet.
  • 23 minute curd set (9 minute flocculation, 2.5 multiplier
  • 3 cm cube cut.  Wait for 10 minutes to heal
  • 10 minute stir at 37C
  • 15 minute stir raising to 39C
  • Wait for 5 min
  • Remove whey to level of the curds. Consolidate curd mass under whey
  • Transfer curd to cheesecloth lined mould.  Add follower with no weight
  • Remove whey from original pot.  Put mould (with curds) into the pot.  Suspend in 41C bath
  • Maintain 41C bath.  Flip cheese every 15 minutes for 1 hour. After the 4th time, do not use cheesecloth.
  • Keep mould in warm pot for another 1 hour, flipping after 30 minutes.
  • Remove mould from warm pot.  Flip every hour for 3-4 hours
  • Leave overnight
  • Brine in saturated brine for 2 hours

The original instructions call for evaluating the curd after the first 10 minutes cooking.  To do so, you take one of the large curds and break it apart.  What I found was that it's like one of those gummy candies with a liquid centre.  After the first 10 minutes, the liquidy centre is about half the size of the curds.  As the curd cooks, the liquidy centre shrinks until after 25 minutes of total stirring the curd has a totally consistent texture from outside to inside.  Anyway, the idea is to adjust the temperature so that you time that consistency to exactly 25 minutes.  As it turned out, it worked exactly right for me.

I had no trouble at all getting a mostly closed rind in the end.  There are clearly some big holes inside the cheese as there are one or two soft spots, but it's a fresh cheese, so I don't really mind.  There is a crack here and there, but really surprisingly closed.  The cheese is *very* soft.  When I put it in the brine, you could see a slight imprint of where it was sitting on my hand.  It's also very smooth.  I think it will end up having a really interesting texture.

I haven't weighed it yet, but it's probably on the order of about 600g as I put it in the brine.  It's currently brining now.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Caciotta
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:10:49 PM »
Quick update on this:  It was going great in the cave for 1 week, which was exactly the amount of time I wanted to mature this cheese.  However, as is usual for cheese made with this yogurt, at the end of the first week, it started getting quite slimy.  I did a quick wash, dried it off and meant to cut it the next day.  However, the next day it was absolutely *covered* in white mould.  It was a bit of a shame I wanted this one clean, because I was off to a wonderful bloomy rind ;-)  So I washed it again (second day in a row!).  The next day, it was absolutely covered in white mould.  Wow...  persistent...  So I washed it again (third day in a row!).  Finally it started to calm down, but now I got blue mould.  Sigh...  I decided not to wash it (again!) and instead just spot scraped the blue off.  There is no rind to speak of on this cheese at the moment, so I wanted it to dry out a bit.  I reduced the humidity in the box (which I should have done earlier) and now it's looking pretty good.  Going to cut it tomorrow.  These high moisture cheeses seem to be a bit problematic.  I think if I do this again (which I probably will), I'll try to make sure to have a pretty low humidity.  I'll probably also dry it off a bit better before putting it in the cave (it was *just* dry when I put it into the cave this time).  It might get a bit of a rind, but I think that's probably OK.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 10:45:53 AM »
I forgot to post an update on this one.  It turned out awesomely.  I'll post a pic eventually, but I really enjoyed this cheese.  After all the struggles with the mould, I cut it and it settled down nicely in the fridge :-).  The flavour was very nice.  There was a bit of a yogurt tang.  It had a nice mouth feel.  After a while in the fridge it developed a bit of a rind and I actually liked it better, so I think you can age this one out a bit if you want.  I highly recommend it if you are looking for something to eat fairly fresh and want to try a different make.

DrChile

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 08:36:12 PM »
Nice!  I've been looking for relatively quick cheeses to make
Thanks!
Trent

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 06:44:43 AM »
Yeah, I really want to do this one again now that I have some more experience with aging cheeses.