Author Topic: How to properly line a mold with cheesecloth?  (Read 2790 times)

cheesehead94

How to properly line a mold with cheesecloth?
« on: April 30, 2019, 07:21:43 PM »
Alright, I feel like there must be some elusively simple and elegant solution to this that I just haven’t thought of yet, but for me one of the most frustrating parts by far of making cheese is when I try to line the mold with cheesecloth and fill it with curds...it just doesn’t work well! I typically use a 6 in diameter mold, and I cut the cloth long enough to easily have enough, but because the cloth isn’t very wide it seems impossible to have it reach from the bottom to the top of the mold in 360 degrees. I am not sure if I am describing this well or not, but does anybody else have the same issue and/or a good solution?I have looked on YouTube and on this forum for an answer without any luck.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: How to properly line a mold with cheesecloth?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 12:57:41 AM »
Hmm ... generally I use butter muslin rather than cheesecloth, but in either case what I find is in large squares. Sounds like what you are getting is only in relatively narrow lengths?
-- Andy

cheesehead94

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 11:41:13 AM »
Where do you find square cut cheesecloth/butter muslin? I buy mine off ofcheesemaking.com and yes it is all rectangular, similar to a bolt of a fabric

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 02:05:21 PM »
Well, it's been a while since I purchased any - last I bought was probably from Yoav, ArtisanGeek, who I don't believe is still in business (?). It may be that it was rectangular, and I just cut it into squares. But in any case, it was still quite wide. I think my squares are around 24" on a side, something like that. That is more than enough to fill the mold and have plenty overflowing on all sides. If yours is too narrow to overflow on all sides, I think it is going to be very challenging to get it pulled smooth.
-- Andy

Offline feather

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 8
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 11:11:54 PM »
If you are a cheese head from wisconsin, we have joann fabrics. They sell it by the package and by the bolt/yardage. It comes 36 inches wide.
https://www.joann.com/search?q=cheese+cloth

Cheese cloth is generally 60 thread count, so 60 TC, that means, in one square inch there are 30 threads horizontally and 30 threads vertically.
Butter muslin is generally 90 TC.
Try not to buy anything less than 60, it's just too loose.
I hope that helps ya. Eh.

cheesehead94

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 12:02:31 AM »
Thanks for the info! I’m in Michigan but we have a Joan’s right down the road :)

Lenomnom

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 11:45:13 AM »
I bought some cheesecloth the other day and was quite upset to find it was a long strip and only about six inches wide. It was only after usiing it once, and hanging it over a chair to dry, that I noticed something odd about the corners. They didn't seem to quite line up... so I started picking away at it and lo and behold, it unfolded! Twice! (or was it three times?). It was not at all obvious to the eye fresh out of the package. I just wasn't expecting such a loose weave.