Author Topic: Continuing Culture Conversation  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Continuing Culture Conversation
« on: June 12, 2019, 11:18:45 PM »
Hello everyone,

After spending quite a bit of time searching this forum, reading and re-reading Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking book, looking at various websites, etc...unfortunately I still have some questions about culture choice!  I know this has been a common question for newbies, and as such there is soooo much information and advice which I have taken note of (and there are some golden gems I must go back to find in this forum to put in my cheese binder).  The topic can be a bit circular (as in "which culture should I use" with the answer of "depends on what cheese you want to make" which leads to "but which culture is best for the cheese I want to make" etc.)  But aside from the philosophical discussions, it seems there is no one place to get a thorough, specific overview of the main cultures available comparing consistent attributes across the table (if there is and I have overlooked it, I hope someone will kindly point me toward its direction).  Meanwhile, I have started to feel a bit like a sleuth-hound!

I am preceding my thoughts and questions with a brief overview of my cheesemaking experiences thus far.  I would like to think of myself as a "newbie phase 2", newly morphing out of the "newbie phase 1" category.  I've made quite a few soft cheeses and maybe a half-dozen semi-hard cheeses.  When I started making cheeses with a basic meso starter (NEC's C101) I did not have good results.  As a newbie I took a somewhat scientific approach of keeping with the same starter (it couldn't be the culture was the problem, right?) but varying other aspects of the makes.  With no success.  With various cheeses, the flavor was bland and results were always over-acidified.  I was just about ready to give up cheesemaking when I stumbled across a review singing the praises of Flora Danica for making Gouda.  Then I found a chart (more on this next) that categorized some cultures by "acid production type", and found out C101 is a "high acidifier" while FD is a "moderate acidifier".  I started using FD in some Colbys, a Gouda, soft cheeses and lo and behold, I finally had cheeses I could actually eat!  Thus focused my antennae on different starters in the "moderate acidifier" range to enhance my success as a newbie, until I can get a better control over my cheese makes (most recently, kazu has my attention, more on this later).

The information that has been most helpful thus far is of course Caldwell's book, but even moreso the culture chart from Karlin's Artisan Cheesemaking at Home, which has been posted in another thread but I'll insert the link here again. http://www.artisancheesemakingathome.com/pdfs/cultures.pdf
What I like most is the information she has in the last column "Notes and uses"...in which she documents "acid production type", flavor, texture, and most common cheeses made from it.  So for me, at this stage, since I am going to stay away from high acidifiers right now, I can look down the list at the various moderate acidifiers.  Also since I am interested in different flavor types, notes about that are particularly useful to me.  Unfortunately though, the notes are not consistently providing all this information for all cultures.  For example, for the culture called kazu, it is not noted that it can produce a somewhat nutty flavor (which is documented on the various culture websites as well as in this forum).  So....since this chart seems to be of particular use to me, I am hoping to work on modifying it and filling in the blanks as I can find the pertinent information in the various sources out there.

Meanwhile, the chart still prompts other questions...and maybe they are not important for me to know the answers to at this stage of the game, but I will ask them anyway. 

For example, MA 11 (LL & LC) vs Meso Type 2 (LC only)...if you used each culture in otherwise identical makes, what if any differences could you expect the resulting cheeses to have?  There are so many meso cultures out there that are recommended for a particular type of cheese, but really no comparison of what the different outcomes might be.  I saw JohnPC posted a spreadsheet of what cultures he uses for different types of cheeses (thank you John!) and noticed he uses Meso Type 2 a lot.  I'm wondering why use this over MA 11? 

And I see a lot of posts where more advanced cheesemakers are documenting their recipes and commonly mixing different cultures...obviously they are trying for a unique outcome based on their previous experiences with each culture individually....but for example (I think I saw this in a scanerkay post) why mix kazu with FD?  Is it to modify acid production, flavor, or ???

I realize everyone will likely have a unique experience with each culture due to different milks and environments, (and I also realize I may be overthinking this subject), but I have grown a bit weary of the adventurous approach of "just try it and see how it turns out" (because it usually doesn't) and I'd just like a little more information about what I'm using before I try it.

Thanks for listening.  Sure hope I haven't totally worn out an old subject for this forum.  Any feedback welcomed and appreciated.  --Susan38

River Bottom Farm

Re: Continuing Culture Conversation
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 03:52:23 AM »
Susan38 I don't have all the answers but this might help you if you have questions about specific cultures: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/board,172.0.html
Most members that are mixing cultures are doing it for taste but sometimes they may adjunct to speed up the acidificaton as well.

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 07:27:43 PM »
River,  Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately the link you posted, eventually navigates to a broken link.  But I think the idea is to go to the manufacturer and they do post detailed information about the culture blends they make?  I had not tried that yet, just went to the website and read their brief descriptions.  Thanks for letting me know there is more info out there, I just didn't dig deep enough.  Meanwhile I'll just keep muddling along...Susan38

River Bottom Farm

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 03:08:19 AM »
Sorry Susan38. The link works on my phone but here is the path: scroll to the top of the page and click home then click general boards (unless it's already expanded on your screen/ device) then click Library then click manufacturers data sheets then click on the manufacturer of the culture you want to look at and then click on the name of the culture you want to learn about. If you are looking for Kazu for example that is a Danisco culture.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 11:51:08 PM »
I do sometimes add FD to the Kazu when I am making a gouda type cheese. And sometimes I just use Kazu alone. Not necessarily scientific I am afraid. Either way I generally really enjoy the gouda!

I would have to make comparison cheese side by side to really know if there was a difference! But I do think there are more holes in the cheese when made with FD.

I have done makes in the past, trying to keep most variables constant, but changing the cultures.

And I have noticed the difference in acidification making two cheeses side by side (crazy stirring skills!) using FD versus mm100. I also found the FD is a slower acidifier.

I learned that I really like using a meso/thermo blend for a variety of different makes. I used to use FD for a lot of different makes. One experiment I did was caerphilly with FD alone, and caerphilly with 4001. I liked the blend so much better, that I kept using a combo of meso/thermo.

I keep Kazu on hand because I feel like I notice a flavor improvement over the 4001 culture blend. I don't keep both because..... well, who has room and time and money to keep so many cultures!! I am afraid they would loose potency over time, since I tend to use only 1/16 tsp per gallon each make!
!
I have used Kazu starter for caerphilly, gouda, cheddar, and probably any time I find a recipe that suggests 4001. While it may not be "true to character" for a particular type cheese, I really like the results, and so do my family and friends.

For cheeses that require a thermo culture blend, I tend to reach for su casu. I don't recall doing any experiments comparing thermo cultures, but I do like the flavor profile in when I make montasio, or asiago or appenzellar. Again they may not be true to character, but we do all enjoy the cheese!!

What ever culture I use, I have found that for me using a pH meter gives me more confidence and more predictability on the progression of a make.
Susan

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 03:07:58 AM »
Scasnerkay--Oh boy, thanks for checking in here.  Your response is just what I have been looking for, from you and others with similar experience.  I totally get that at some point you just try and see what you get, but for me I love to hear what others are doing and more importantly WHY.  No scientific processes needed.  I think I am still on the hunt for some better flavors and thinking the different cultures can help me out (while I'm still trying to get all the processes correct).  I think I will stick to colbys and goudas for awhile to get more consistent, but am also planning on a first cheddar maybe this fall, and want to use a culture that I think will give me the flavors I am looking for (since it's even more of a time investment in the make and affinage).

From what I am piecing together from various sources, your input on the various cultures and your results with them are consistent with what I have been suspecting.  Interesting though with the comparison of MM100 and FD...will definitely add that to my notes.

I just recently have a pH meter in hand and can't wait to try it on on my next makes, which will not be for awhile unfortunately.  PH strips have helped me immensely meanwhile.

Thanks again for your input, it helps a lot maybe more than you can know!  At the very least, saving me time in deciding my next culture choices, knowing that of course I may not get the same results as you, but at least it is another step forward for me in the cheesemaking experience.  AC4U!

Cheers,  Susan38

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 03:49:03 AM »
I am not consistent in checking the forum, but if you have a question that you want to direct my way, send a message or better yet an email!
Thank you for your kind reply, and for the cheese!
Susan

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 05:38:43 PM »
Hi again River,

To clarify, your link worked perfectly; it was when I went to the last link to the manufacturer's pdfs that things went amiss.   (I'm pretty sure I have been to that board in the past but could not get to the final pdfs).  I must have some firewalls on my computer or something that is interfering with my navigational abilities.

But lo and behold I tried again just now and was able to get through.  There is more information there,  not exactly what I have been looking for EXCEPT that CHR Hansen's pages include pH curves!  Which is yet another thing I have been wishing to see!  (Sure wish the other companies included that in their specs).  But at least for some of the cultures, there's yet another piece of the puzzle found.  Thanks for pointing me back to the Library where I can continue to dig further.

Susan38