Author Topic: Cottage Cheese attempt  (Read 3340 times)

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Cottage Cheese attempt
« on: July 24, 2019, 11:12:26 PM »
Well, I gave cottage cheese a try with this recipe: https://cheesemaking.com/products/cottage-cheese-recipe-dry-curd

There were a few problems.  The first was my apartment was 30 C, which is waaay to warm :-)  I planned to start the curd at noon and let it develop until morning.  At 11:00 PM, it was just separating from the sides of the pot and it had a little bit of whey on top.  :-(  I didn't want to make cheese in the middle of the night, so I thought I'll see how it goes.

By morning, the curd had collapsed to the bottom of the bot and there was a good layer of whitish whey on top.  The curd was also no longer smooth.  So I guess it over acidified.  Makes sense.  When I cut the curd it was *very* firm and I thought it will be super easy to dry it out.  Alas, no.  After a couple of stirs it just started shattering/crumbling.  From that point on it was a struggle to dry out the curd while not having it disintegrate completely.  I did my best, but ultimately I was never able to dry out the curd enough.

I now have a nice cream cheese :-)  Oh well.  I'll try again soon with better planning.  I only used a litre of milk as I new this was going to take me a couple of tries to get right.

Edit: On a whim, I decided to give the cheese its cold water bath and see if I can salvage it as a cottage cheese.  You know what?  It worked.  It's actually pretty nice.  Very soft and creamy, but not unlike cottage cheese I've had before.  I'm calling this a late success ;-)  I'm going to give it a try again, though.  Next time I'll prepare everything before going to bed so that I'll have a flexible timeline the next day.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:38:16 PM by mikekchar »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Cottage Cheese attempt
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 12:52:48 PM »
When you can salvage something and call it good, it is a success! AC4U.
-- Andy

Offline jawnn

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: Cottage Cheese attempt
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 04:12:14 AM »
Very glad to read your account, I tryed cottage cheese couple weeks ago and failed possibly not-warn enough, or not enough time in my incubator at 72f I must forgotten how use lactic-acid