Author Topic: Non-Iodised salt in the supermarket?  (Read 3064 times)

UKBob23

Non-Iodised salt in the supermarket?
« on: September 23, 2019, 09:14:34 AM »
Hi,

I made my first batch of cheese last weekend and loved it. I'm looking to make many more and can't help but think there must be a brand of table salt in the supermarkets that is not iodised? I bought cheese salt initially from an online supplier when I bought my other items, but there must be an easier and cheaper option surely?

Please let me know what brands and supermarkets will stock salt acceptable for cheese making.

Thanks

Bob

MarcG

Re: Non-Iodised salt in the supermarket?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 01:13:15 PM »
Hi Bob.  I'm in Canada so things might be different but salt that has been iodized here has it very clearly marked on the package.

Edit:  sorry I didn't realize your post was in the UK-specific forum.  Canada is the evil stepson though so maybe it's passable.  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:38:06 PM by MarcG »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 06:44:24 PM »
I don't know if my non-UK experience will be of any help, but ... here in the US we can find Kosher salt (non-iodized and a bit more coarse) alongside the regular table salt (iodized and fine) - and it doesn't cost significantly more than the regular salt.
-- Andy

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
You can go for Kosher salt, pickling salt, and usually sea salt.  Pickling salt is usually the cheapest by far (the kosher salt has higher level regulations and different processes it needs to go through for religious reasons).  Pickling salt tends to be quite course, though (sometimes ridiculously so -- like nearly a cm across ;-) ), so you may have to grind it.  Quite a lot of "table salt" is made from sea salt, but it's not usually labelled that way.  "Sea salt" is usually non-iodised sea salt and it often commands a higher price.  I tend to use "flake salt".  Flake salt is made by taking brine and dehydrating it.  The brine can be made either from sea water or rock salt.  Flake salt has relatively big crystals, so again you may want to grind it (you can just use any pepper grinder, but use it only for salt).  I like it as it is.  There are special grades of flake salt and it can all get quite complicated, but any flake sea salt will work fine.  I've never heard of anyone ever iodising flake salt.  Fluer de sel is natural flake sea salt that is gathered from salt flats or the sear directly.  It tends to have quite a lot of junk in it (because it doesn't start with clean water and it's usually made outside where it picks up debris), but the impurities impart extra flavours to the salt.  Whether or not you can pick that up in the cheese, I don't know.  I use flake salt made in the bay where I live.  I used to buy salt made by a guy down the street from me, but unfortunately he's stopped making it.  I have to buy it at the market now.  100g costs me about $3 so it's kind of expensive, but compared to the rest of the cheese it's pretty cheap.  I pretend that I can tell the difference ;-)  You will definitely be able to buy fancy-schmancy salt like I use in the grocery store, but if you have trouble finding pickling salt, try a bulk health food store.  I know I've typed alot (what else is new?) but since you live in the UK, I've definitely bought flake salt in large tubs at Sainsbury's at a reasonable price before.  Also, I may be misremembering, but I think Asda has a line of non-homogenised, low temp pasteurised milk.  If I am remembering correctly, they sell it under the Asda brand, but with some other qualifier (like "Super natural" or something).  I wasn't in a position to try it for cheesemaking when I was there, but it looked promising and fairly inexpensive.

Offline pickles

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • ancient dabbler
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 09:23:06 AM »
Hi UKbob23,

I am also in the UK. Perhaps this reply is too late for you but it might be useful to others in the UK searching for non-iodised salt.

I buy my salt at Morrisons supermarket but it is also available at Asda. Tesco don't stock it.

Description

Saxa Coarse Sea Salt 350g
Harvested from mineral rich sea water, our coarse sea salt is naturally evaporated to produce a pure salt, free from artificial additives.
100% natural, For cooking & grinding

the price at this time:
morrisons      95p [£2.71 per kilo]
asda           94p [£2.69 per kilo]

note:

a variant
Saxa Fine Sea Salt contains  Anti-Caking Agent (Sodium Hexacyanoferrate II)
I don't know if this affects cheesemaking  but I stick to the coarse version, to be on the safe side.

Just beware this brand of salt is available from some sources at super-inflated prices. Do shop around.

I hope you are still enjoying good home made cheese.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:55:30 AM by pickles »

Offline pickles

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • ancient dabbler
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 09:52:12 AM »
Incidentally I came across this ebay uk supplier:

===

on ebay.co.uk

eBay item number:264273578425
Natural Sea Salt (Coarse) 2.5kg | Buy Whole Foods Online | Free UK P&P
£6.24 [£2.50 per kilo]

===

It looks good, especially if you want to buy in quantity.
I have never used them but I reckon they could be worth investigating.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:58:46 AM by pickles »