Author Topic: Strauss brand milk  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Strauss brand milk
« on: November 10, 2019, 07:06:37 PM »
Is anyone out there using Strauss brand milk for making aged cheeses?  If so, I would love to hear your experiences with it.  Thanks in advance!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Strauss brand milk
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 10:22:04 PM »
Mostly I am lucky enough to use fresh raw milk. But when I use purchased milk, it is always Strauss! From time to time I teach a few people how to make cheese, and always use Strauss for that.

Sometimes the cream has become very separated, so I am careful to buy the milk dates the furthest out. If I lay the gallon container on its side overnight and the cream flats to the side of the container instead of the top, it seems easier to get it mixed back in.

I have never been disappointed using this milk!
Susan

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Strauss brand milk
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 12:00:51 AM »
Oh good, that is what I was hoping to hear.  I have used it for yogurt but not cheeses yet.  I am familiar with that cream plug so thanks for the helpful tip about dealing with that.

Unfortunately my local milk source is no longer available, so until I find another one it's back to store milk.  Someone just told me about Alexandre Farm milk, produced out of Crescent City, that's supposed to be equally good and maybe a bit less cost, but I don't think it's available here in my neck of the woods.