Author Topic: Making Lancashire (pics)  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
Making Lancashire (pics)
« on: December 28, 2019, 08:24:35 AM »
I made a Lancashire for the first time, and was pretty happy with the results.  Followed the recipe on cheesemaking.com pretty much to the letter . . . this is the first time I've documented (in pics) the process of making a cheese from beginning to end, so I thought I'd share.   No flames for my PVC molds please  :)

Thanks,
-Lance

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Making Lancashire (pics)
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »
A cheese for you!  Looks great!  I have a couple of questions, though.  The curd cut looks pretty ragged (and hence I guess the curd is really firm).  I assume it's quite a long set and or ripening period?  The recipe calls for a flocc time of 15 minutes and a multiplier of 3 (total 45 minutes).  I'm wondering how you got such a firm curd set.  I don't suppose you measured the flocc time.  I'm quite curious.

The second question is about your amazing hoops.  Far from a flame, I think they are wonderful.  However, I've heard PVC isn't food safe, but I wonder if that matters at low temps.  Have you looked into it?  I'd love to make something essentially exactly like this.

Note, the above may sound negative. It's not at all!  I'm curious about your process and the words that I've chosen seem to sound negative, but I can't think of better words :-)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 09:35:25 PM »
And another cheese for you!

On the PVC molds - I seriously considered going this route, but was nervous about the possibility of chemical leaching. I wound up instead using some HDPE containers that I happened to have around. Some of these began life as food containers. However - don't tell anyone - one of my main go-to molds began life as a pail of spackling compound. The main downside of this approach is that such containers tend to have a draft on the sides - but in my experience, that has not resulted in significantly misshapen cheeses. I also have some molds made from dollar-store half-gallon or gallon-size pitchers. Sometimes you can find a pitcher that is straight-sided.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:30:02 PM by awakephd »
-- Andy

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 08:37:17 PM »
Although I did let the coagulation go on too long (60 mins), there's a simpler (but non-obvious) reason for my ragged curd cut - - the blade of my curd knife is about 1/4" too short to reach the bottom of the pot, so the handle breaks the top of the curds  :)  Not a problem before, but now that I'm doing 4 gallon batches, time to buy a longer knife.

As for PVC, I know it's not recommended, but it's hard to find any definitive information.  My hope is that due to the limited contact time, any leaching would be minimal.  I haven't noticed anything affecting the taste, but since I've only been making cheeses for about six months, can't say what might happen in the longer term.  I've started upgrading to food grade molds, but they're soooo pricey!

I do have one question that maybe y'all can help me with.  Other than the longer coagulation time, and taking about 20 mins extra before the first pressing (in the cheesecloth), I did everything else exactly according to the recipe, but my curd weight just before salting was 4 lbs 12 oz, versus 5 lbs 8 oz mentioned in the recipe.   That's a pretty significant difference . . . any ideas?

Thanks,
-Lance

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 02:43:12 PM »
Lance, there are a number of things that contribute to the final weight. One is, of course, the amount of water retained. However, longer coagulation should lead to increased retention, not less. However, the cut size of the curd makes a difference, and even more the amount of stirring and/or cooking.

Equally if not more significant is the amount of protein and fat in the milk - and this can vary widely. In fact, with any given cow, it naturally varies widely at different times of the year. Store bought milk is "standardized," which in theory means that you won't see the seasonal variations as much ... but I've still seen significant variation across time and brands.

One more factor: my sense (not sustained by any extensive experimenting) is that yields from raw milk may be higher than from store-bought - though, as noted above, much more affected by seasonal variations. My guess is that most if not all writers of books have access to raw milk - which, unfortunately, I do not. I've noticed this especially in the way certain things are supposed to work (e.g., flocculation test), that never work very well for me - except for the one time that I did get my hands on some raw milk. That was an "aha" moment that made me feel much more confident about my other results; I wasn't doing it wrong, I just was doing the best possible with the P&H milk available.

All that to say, I wouldn't be concerned. IMO, the main thing at this point is whether you get a cheese you like. Secondary is whether it approaches the taste and texture of what you were aiming for. A long, long, long way third - actually, somewhere near the bottom of the list - is whether you got a certain yield. :)
-- Andy

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 08:15:46 PM »
Thanks.  I think that's right - - even the authors who carefully explain how much to use/what to do with raw vs. PH usually seem to come from a background of raw milk.

I do have a source of raw milk, as Meadow Ridge Farms has a delivery point about 10 minutes from my house.  Not sure if $9/gallon for cow milk is worth it, but it's a source of goat milk ($13/gallon), so with my second order from them I'm going to try a St. Maure.

There may be another reason for my low yield - - over-enthusiastic stirring.  My assumption was that you should stir as vigorously as possible, as long as the curd didn't break (or not too much), but from Caldwell's book (Xmas present, slowly absorbing all the info!) "In most cases curd is only stirred as vigorously as is needed to prevent the curds from matting back together."

Two days ago I made a Cheshire and relaxed my stirring, for 66 oz. vs. 68 oz. according to the recipe.  Still, at the recommended pressure the curds didn't knit completely, so I had to increase to 300 lbs.  Now it's in its bandage, next to the Lancashire, which after 10 days has a healthy growth of mold  :)

The more I learn about cheesemaking, the more it seems like a battle of control vs. entropy, with the latter usually winning.

-Lance

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 09:23:33 PM »
300 lbs is what I generally use for any cheddar types - that's with a mold that is around 7" diameter.

With access to raw milk, one option is to do half-and-half. The one time I got my hands on raw milk - which unfortunately has to be specially shipped in from out of state, since it is illegal in NC to sell raw milk for human consumption - it was even more expensive than that, so I only bought 2 gallons. But I wanted to make a larger make, so I mixed two raw with two P&H - and got a world of difference from just the P&H, both in the way the recipe worked and in the much greater complexity of flavor in the aged cheese.

Incidentally, when I did this, I went ahead and low-temp pasteurized the raw milk, even though the cheese I made (a Montasio) aged for much more than 60 days. The reason was the uncertainty about the source and handling of the raw milk. By the time it got to me, it had passed through a lot of stages ... better safe than sorry. But using LTP (140°F for 30 minutes), I got minimal damage of the raw milk, so it still performed spectacularly compared to P&H.
-- Andy