Author Topic: Help setting up a 240 sq ft aging space  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Kjeffus

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
Help setting up a 240 sq ft aging space
« on: February 19, 2020, 03:01:10 PM »
Hello everyone, I am currently in the process of starting a small artisanal cheesemaking business. I am converting a long narrow former office into the aging room. It is 241 sq feet and will have open shelving to hold my cheeses. I am going to be using a split heat air conditioner system with a coolbot. My question is what size humidifier am I going to need for this space? Does anyone have a model they like and would recommend? Thanks for any response!

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
Re: Help setting up a 240 sq ft aging space
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 01:41:39 PM »
I can' t offer any advice in terms of the humidifier, but from mushroom growing experience would highly recommend the Inkbird models as a humidity controller.  They seem pretty accurate and are reasonably priced.  The only thing I don't like is that you can't set the Low Humidity Alarm for anything higher than 50%, which is useless for both mushrooms and cheese.

-Lance

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Help setting up a 240 sq ft aging space
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 08:44:57 PM »
Our cave is about 10x12' and we use an AC with Coolbot and a homemade humidifier.  Essentially it's a large Rubbermaid tub with lid. Inside the tub (mostly full of water) is an ultrasonic fogger. The lid has two holes cut out, one fitted with a PVC joint (venting hole) and the other with a (water resistant) computer fan. It's hooked up to a humidistat and runs every 10 minutes or so for a minute or two. Been great for the several years we've been using it.
Some similar setups are posted here:
https://thehouseofhydro.com/fog-blog.html