Author Topic: L. casei 431  (Read 1874 times)

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
L. casei 431
« on: February 21, 2020, 01:47:12 PM »
I recently came across a recipe that called for this, and because I didn't know what it was, went to the manufacturer's site.

Okay.

Wait . . .

It's not really a question of food safety, more a question of process:

Do Chris Hansen employees go door to door and ask, "I'm making some cheese. Can I have some of your infant's feces?"
    Or is it more of an internal employee thing, and if so, if your infant's feces make better cheese, do you get a promotion?
    Did CH identify that there was a missing ingredient in their cheeses and look for better infant feces?

No one thinks I'm as funny as I do.

-L

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: L. casei 431
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 05:06:37 PM »
:)

Maybe it is infant cows ... ???
-- Andy

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 02:02:06 PM »
Rennet comes to mind also... Calf rennet???     :-[

Online mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 01:58:54 AM »
In truth it's probably the other way around.  In order to understand things like gut bacteria, researchers will often culture *everything* that is growing in human feces.  Then they try to figure out what they are.  Of course, it is interesting to find out if there is a difference between the bacterial cultures in an infant's gut vs an adult's gut.  It's also interesting to find out if it can travel from the mother's gut to the baby's gut (and if so, how).  Things like the bacterial cultures that produce stomach ulcers tend to be passed down in families and we know very, very little about how that works.

Companies like Hansen don't usually do that kind of basic research.  Instead, they will pay university researchers money for new samples of things that might do something interesting.  My dad was a chemistry professor and no matter what he was doing, there would always be some side product.  He wouldn't know what it was.  So he would test it to see if it would work as a herbicide or as a pesticide or about a bazillion other different things.  And if it had any effect, the big chemical companies would pay him for it and would do more detailed testing.  Probably half of his research money came from selling off these waste products, I think -- and didn't even have anything to do with his real research.

I assume it is the same here.  Somebody cultured a whole bunch of stuff from an infant's feces.  Then they said, "Hey, this seems to be some kind of lactic acid bacteria" and then they sold it to a big chemical company that will test to find out if it has any useful properties.  If so, they give a bit of money to the researchers.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 05:33:31 PM »
All I can say is ... yumm. :)
-- Andy

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
Mike, you're killing my childish (one could even say 'infantile') delight that one cheese ingredient is kid's poop.  Point taken though.  I went to UW-Madison, and I think they still have a good revenue stream from Warfarin, which is not only an effective blood anti-coagulant, but also rat poison, so you have to wonder what kind of research led to both results.  No, don't tell me.

L