Author Topic: Walcoren dry powder - understanding IMCU  (Read 2480 times)

Mina

Walcoren dry powder - understanding IMCU
« on: March 21, 2020, 08:39:34 PM »
Hello
Me again about rennet...again.
I'm trying to learn more about the IMCU of rennet to help me get a better handle on whether I'm using this dry powder in the right ratios.
From what I gather, single strength rennet is 200  IMCU/g or 220 IMCU/ml
The walcoren states 914 IMCU...which I am assuming is per gram.
So I figure 1 gram of dry is at a ratio of 4.15 to the liquid rennet.
If a recipe calls for say 2.5ml of rennet is it safe to calculate:
2.5 ml ÷ 4.15 = 0.6
This would mean 0.6 grams of dry
Since 1/16 tsp = 0.3 g then 1/8 tsp = 0.6g

How far off am I?  Am I even in the ball park :(

From Walcoren site:
Activity and composition

Soxhlet   1:100.000   ± 5%
IMCU IDF 157A:1997   914   ± 5%
mg Chymosin / Litre   5.450   ± 5%
Ratio mg Pepsin / mg Chymosin   1:21,0   ± 5%
Chymosin IDF:110B:1997   97%   ≥ 3%
Pepsin IDF:110B:1997   3%   ≥ 3%

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Walcoren dry powder - understanding IMCU
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 02:25:47 AM »
The walcoren states 914 IMCU...which I am assuming is per gram.

I think that's probably correct.

So I figure 1 gram of dry is at a ratio of 4.15 to the liquid rennet.
If a recipe calls for say 2.5ml of rennet is it safe to calculate:
2.5 ml ÷ 4.15 = 0.6
This would mean 0.6 grams of dry
Since 1/16 tsp = 0.3 g then 1/8 tsp = 0.6g

I would do the math like this:

The recipe calls for 2.5 ml of single strength rennet.  The rennet is 220 IMCU/ml. 

2.5 * 220 = 550

914 / 550 = 0.62 g

So you are right on.  However, I'd urge you to move away from the written recipe and instead rely on your own calculations.  Most people who right recipes are essentially putting in arbitrary amounts of rennet.  Instead, I would look at 4 things:

• The ripening time for the milk
  • The ripening and coagulation temperature (almost always the same)
  • The flocculation time for the rennet
  • The flocculation multiplier for the type of cheese you are doing

This is what *really* determines the amount of rennet to use.  The speed of coagulation is 100% dependent on the amount of rennet, the pH of the milk and the temperature.  This means that you can ballpark the amount of rennet that you need my guessing the pH and temperature of the milk, and the flocculation time. 

Unfortunately, most recipes don't give flocculation time.  They just give the time to a "clean break" (because most home cheese makers don't understand the benefit of having firmer or sloppier breaks).  But you can kind figure it out.  Imagine that the "time to clean break" is stated as 50 minutes.  Let's also say that the normal multiplier for that kind of cheese is 3x.  50 minutes / 3 = ~17 minutes until flocculation.  That's kind of slow.  Normal flocculation time is usually between 12-15 minutes.  So either the temperature is low, the acidity is low, or the amount of rennet is low.  You can see the temperature in the recipe.  You can guess the acidity of the milk based on the ripening time.  Therefore you can kind of guage the rennet amount.

It's hard to do this at first, but if you keep good notes, you should be able to see a pattern and be able to guess the flocculation time for a recipe.  I'm usually within 1 minute of my estimates these days and can even estimate the IMCU of my rennet (which is *long* past it's best before date).  Just keep in mind that virtually every recipe uses the "normal" amount of rennet.  Often when they don't it's a mistake -- I've seen some recipes with up to double the amount of rennet you would expect and you will often see people complaining that the cheese is bitter, or that they are getting too much moisture in the curds, etc, etc.

Mina

Re: Walcoren dry powder - understanding IMCU
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 01:32:15 PM »
Hi mikekchar!

Thanks so much for the detailed response!
I have been getting used to understanding the floc factors given in recipes and using that as a guide along with stated goal coag times. When searching for recipes, I find I'm gearing towards those that do state floc factors, ph levels etc.  I love Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking for that reason alone.

A year ago I simply just followed the recipes until I had a better grip on the actual steps - cutting curd, stirring, draining, pressing etc.  Now I want to start understanding the minute details of the ingredients and how they affect the final cheese.   
I just needed to hone in on the rennet.  I keep pretty good notes, considering I'm learning as I go, and had a suspicion I was getting the rennet all wrong.  I switched from liquid to powder and had some not so great batches with recipes I had great success with earlier.   That's when I started to go over my notes and decided I needed to look more at the IMCU, floc rates and ph levels.  Something was off.

I heard the term IMCU floating around on some of the discussion boards and wanted more of a concrete base to jump from if I was to start 'experimenting' with doses. 
Now that I have a somewhat 'base' to go by, I'm sure I'll eventually get good at predicting future batches.  Maybe as good as you ;)