Author Topic: Namaste from Kerala, India  (Read 4262 times)

not_ally

Namaste from Kerala, India
« on: March 23, 2020, 03:17:57 PM »
Hey y'all.  Hope everyone is hunkered down and safe wherever you are right now.  I am a US citizen, currently living in Kerala, India.  Started making easy fresh cheeses in the States then moved here, where it is really hard to buy (good) cheese other than paneer and equally hard to source cheesemaking equipment. Craving brie/camembert/blue. So I just broke down and ordered a bunch of stuff from NE Cheesemaking, crossing my fingers it will arrive in these crazy days.

Have been lurking for a long time - the research and reading about others' experience is part of the fun - but even so have a feeling I will have a bunch of questions, so thanks to all of you kind people in advance.  Actually, I have one already, so will post it on the relevant board like a good newbie  :)

ETA: Wow, just realized I had actually joined and intro-posted here before a few years ago, then tabled the cheesemaking efforts.  The aging brain at work.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 03:33:20 PM by mexicalidesi »

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Namaste from Kerala, India
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 11:06:23 PM »
Hello!  I had kind of the same feeling when I moved to Japan (where I am now).  Cheese is not impossible to get, but you pretty much have to go to a big city and pay lots of money.  I have a limited supply in my grocery store -- strangely mimolette is common....  Once I started, I got hooked pretty badly :-)  It's super fun!  Make sure to post lots of pics of the creations you make.

not_ally

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:57:25 AM »
Hi mike, thanks for the welcome! I have come across your posts and always wish I could grasp the technical/scientific side of this as quickly as you do. It seems to have made for a quick learning curve. Yes, India not on the forefront of cheese production, like you I have to drive a distance (2 hours) and pay a lot for cheeses that are not as good as I would find at Costco. But now I have a lot of time on my hands, who knows for how long, so a good time to start the journey again.

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 09:31:49 PM »
Namaste mexicali.  It's always interesting to hear about cheesemaking adventures outside of the US, so please keep us posted.

-L

Offline Jeya

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 03:13:30 PM »
https://www.casarocreamery.com
They make https://cheeseforum.org/forum/Smileys/default/angry.gifartisanal cheese in kerala and they delivered to various parts in kerala.