Author Topic: Hanna HI981032 PH meter for cheesemaking  (Read 4237 times)

not_ally

Hanna HI981032 PH meter for cheesemaking
« on: March 24, 2020, 07:11:22 AM »
Hello, all. Wondered if anyone had any input on this meter? I am in India and would like to buy from a company in country in case I have service issues. I know the Extech 100 and 110 are generally favored here, but the only co that sells them here charges the equivalent of $350 USD+!! Hanna has a division here so no brutal upcharges, it would cost the equivalent of $100 USD. I am aware that it only measures to .1, which is an issue, but right now more concerned with general reliability/ease of use. I have never used a PH meter before.

This is the link to the Indian site: https://hannainst.in/cheese-ph-tester-2909.html

I could only find one post here which mentioned it, and then not in detail.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 07:16:28 AM by mexicalidesi »

John@PC

Re: Hanna HI981032 PH meter for cheesemaking
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 01:41:49 PM »
This looks like an excellent low cost ($100USD) option for cheesemaking.  There are not a lot of pH meters available at a low cost with a spear tip.  Another option from Hanna is their "Halo Wireless Foodcare pH" meter ($200) that has better accuracy, resolution and logging capabilities with the bluetooth app.  I've ordered the Halo and will give a review once I have a chance to use it.  If anyone else on the forum has experience with either of these please comment (like mexicalidesi I couldn't find any reference to either of these meters on the forum).  URL for the Halo is https://www.hannainst.com/halo-wireless-foodcare-ph-meter
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:47:45 PM by John@PC »

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 05:51:53 PM »
I bought the Hanna HI981032 a couple months ago and love it! Super easy to use, does not drift in its calibration much at all.
Both my pH meter and the one you linked go to 0.01...

Offline Mornduk

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 05:52:33 PM »
I have owned a Halo for a few years, use it mainly for charcuterie but also for cheesemaking. It can do anything from whey to curds, wine to garden soil, and it has taken a lot of abuse without any issue. Couldn't be happier, and strongly recommend it if the price works for you. If you have any question about it let me know :)

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 09:55:06 PM »
Thanks Bantams and welcome Mornduk.  I started to change my order to the HI981032 but decided to stick with the Halo mainly for the data logging (so I don't have to write down the pH reading every time with wet hands).   Sounds like either one would be good for cheese and looking forward to trying it out.

Offline ialkohme

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 03:12:30 PM »
Thanks Bantams and welcome Mornduk.  I started to change my order to the HI981032 but decided to stick with the Halo mainly for the data logging (so I don't have to write down the pH reading every time with wet hands).   Sounds like either one would be good for cheese and looking forward to trying it out.

Hi

Wanted to check how you've gotten on with the new PH meter?  My Extech PH100 electrode needs replacing but it looks like its end of life - at least I can't find a replacement electrode in the UK. 

As it was my first meter and don't know how it compares, but I found I had to keep re-calibrating it throughout the make.  In the end I stopped using it due to loss of confidence in the readings.  I'm hoping Hanna will be different, or another brand/model.

Cheers

Offline rukiddingme

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 06:20:28 PM »
Extech's page for the replacement  probe.
http://www.extech.com/products/PH105

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 12
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 03:16:47 PM »
I just got the bluetooth Hanna cheese meter 9810322 this past week.   Seems good so far with my cheese over the weekend.   Glad I had it, my cheese acidified about 33% faster than the recipe timings.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 04:30:50 AM »
I can tell you that the Hanna out performs the extech hands down ,  my first ph meter was the extech and at first it worked okay , then it started to wander in ph  as I was making the cheese and would have to do an emergency cleaning ( in panic mode as it always did this near target ph) finally I gave up on it and splurged for the Hanna , best money I ever spent .
 Any one making cheese more than likely has more money tied up in molds and cultures than the cost of the Hanna halo probe @$200 or so , it should last about 8 to 10 years for a hobbyist before wandering ph too much  so some where around $20 per yer. As I said money well spent .

Gregore

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 02:46:03 PM »
My halo2 was only $115.  $10 bucks more than the basic cheese model.  I guess prices have come down.

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 04:05:58 AM »
I wonder if they have different models as I just look at buying one 6 months ago but went for the replacement probe for the non-Bluetooth one I have already

What I had hoped is that it would be capable of staying in the vat the whole time and record the whole ph curve of the make .   

Gregore

Offline paulabob

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 02:24:48 PM »
Yes, while mine records the whole time...  it's not a detachable / replaceable probe although I suppose it could be rigged into my pot.  I actually wish I could turn off that it records the whole time, but I can tag my actual measurements, and filter everything else out.  Still, at $115 I'm not gonna complain.