Author Topic: Manchego Reveal  (Read 794 times)

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
Manchego Reveal
« on: April 01, 2020, 03:30:07 AM »
 I guess that technically this is a “Hispanico” and not a Manchego, since I used cow milk.

I followed Ms. Karlin’s recipe (without the saffron), a bit confused by her aging recommendations from 10 days (!) to three months.

Here is mine after 2-1/2 months.

This is the most carefree cheese I’ve ever made. I think I wiped it once (?) for mold, and I did give it a rub with olive oil at some point, but other than that didn’t do anything.

But, you ask, how did it taste?

Well, okay. Somewhat sour/lactic, although not in an unpleasant way, just lacking the depth & complexity of what I really like in cheese. Pretty much one-note. I’m going to take another slice and use it to make toasted cheese & tomato sandwiches, which I’m pretty sure will be wonderful.  The rest will go into the fridge for a couple of months.

Of all the cheeses I've made, this one looks the "cheesiest."   :)

-L

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: Manchego Reveal
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 11:20:06 AM »
Very nice looking cheese!

Regarding her recommendations, I ran into a similar situation with her Havarti. She said hers was ready to eat the next day after pressing. It was not. I think most of these cheeses need to wait till the later part of her range for the culture to develop the flavor profile we're looking for?

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Manchego Reveal
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 11:34:21 AM »
There are a variety of different ages for Manchego, but the high end is up around 18 months :-)  I think the low end is 4 months.  But that cheese looks awesome!