Author Topic: 1st Jarlsberg  (Read 1208 times)

Offline smcatharine

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
1st Jarlsberg
« on: May 10, 2020, 01:47:10 PM »
Hi! I love reading everyone's posts. I learn so much! I have been making cheese off and on for a few years. Mostly I vac pack it so I don't have to worry so much about it.
I've been hankering to make a Jarlsberg style cheese but afraid to which is stupid so I made on a few weeks ago. It's going into WEEK 2 of the warm phase. I have it on top of my cheese cave at about 93% humidity and 68 or so. I wipe it down everyday. A few days this black mold started. Do I have to worry about it and remove it aggressively or is it part of the process?
I didn't want to wax the cheese before the warm phase since it seems nearly everyone says it cracks when the cheese expands.
This is a 4 gallon cheese. I used the recipe from 200 Easy cheeses but also followed Jim Wallace's instructions to a certain extent.

Thanks for you help!

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
Re: 1st Jarlsberg
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 07:09:33 PM »
Hi,
I would have waxed it immediately after it dried.  You're absolutely right, as they expand they can break the wax (I had to re-wax one twice), but that prevents any mold, so I think it' s worth it.

I'm afraid that doesn't help your current situation -- hopefully wiser cheeses can give you some advice.

-L

Offline smcatharine

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 08:48:38 PM »
Thanks. I may just vac pack. It seems people have had good results with that.
So, my eyes may not look so great. Fine with me. It's taste I'm after!
It's hard to be patient! :-\

DrChile

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 06:36:02 AM »
Have you tried wiping it a bit more aggressively with brine and a cheesecloth?
If you can limp along for another week or so with notable swelling then vac it, i think it'll be ok.  I'd try to attack the mold with daily washings to keep it at bay...

Trent

Offline smcatharine

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 04:51:44 PM »
I've been cleaning it daily with brine but perhaps not as aggressively as I should. I've been too afraid to damage it!
Yesterday I used white vinegar which made a difference. I gave it a good AGGRESSIVE scrub this Am with brine. It doesn't seem to be getting worse so fingers crossed. Waiting for it to expand.

I'll post a new photo next week. I know it can be frustrating not see the finished product!

THANKS!

Offline smcatharine

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 01:15:20 AM »
Cheese is at the 3rd week of being out on the kitchen counter. The bulge at the top is starting to be more even across the cheese. Mold seems to be controlled with a good wiping with brine and vinegar daily.

I have visions of a huge hole in the middle!

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 01:22:56 PM »
AC4U!  Looks awesome.  I guess you ended up with a nice washed alpine rind.  It looks fabulous!

Offline smcatharine

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 11:13:06 PM »
Thanks so much. I have a manchego, colby and fontina in the aging cave. Manchego is my go-to cheese. The others are "firsts". So far, they look good.

Found a local dairy that sells cream line milk (can't have raw in NJ) and I'm looking forward to seeing the amount of increase in yield.
I'v been happy with Dairy Pure milk. Now the Seven-Eleven has their own "brand" that has been fine. When people ask me if I have a cow I tell them her name is 7-11.

I'd love for us to have a mini Jersey but not sure if we could get away with it here in this town although we have over 6 acres of land.

Offline smcatharine

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 05:33:32 PM »
I did it. I cut open the Jarlsberg. It wasn't showing any more expansion over the past 10 days or so.
As I suspected I didn't get any real holes. it is a little "young" at the center but delicious toward the rind. It smells really good. wax
I vac packed it and put it in the cave for a few more weeks.

When i make it again i'm going to wax it and see if that will help.

DrChile

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 01:53:53 AM »
nicely done!  AC4U.  looks great!

Trent

Offline rukiddingme

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 12:58:12 AM »
Great looking cheese! Thanks for sharing. The pics look greats.
AC4U!!!

I used vacuum bags for my first Jarlsberg style and midway through the warm phase I opted to put the cheese in a container with lid. I got better aging as the vacuum bag leaves a small amount of moisture around the rind of the cheese. It may not be a problem but I wasn't happy with the progress. 3 weeks aged in the bag and 4 more in the container with high humidity. The rind firmed up and got a nice yellow color to it. After the warm aging I vacuumed it again and finished the aging in the bag.
I plan to try warm aging in the container 100% next time.

Let us know how your next one goes.