Author Topic: Yet another Colby but my first  (Read 562 times)

Offline smcatharine

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Yet another Colby but my first
« on: May 30, 2020, 01:44:29 AM »
I cut the colby open today because it has been almost 4 weeks.
It has a slightly salty, acidic taste. It doesn't taste like much of anything, to be honest.  You can see there is a part of the cheese that seems well, moist. Not sure what to call it.
I used 4 gallons Dairy Pure and 1/2 gallon of a local non-homogenized milk. I had a few problems all the way through. I think the culture sat for about 5 minutes too long. I couldn't get the curds down to 80 degrees and let it be at 90.  (I used Jim Wallace's recipe.) Then the lever on my press cracked....long story. I piled up a contraption to continue pressing while we fixed (rebuilt) the press and the weights fell off at some point when I wasn't in the room. Got it back in the press and weight at about 50lb some more. You can see it isn't even inside which is probably from the faulty pressing!

I vac packed it after it dried out for a few days.

Do you think it can be saved or should I just toss it. I just hate the thought of wasting all that milk.

I did use Annatto but you wouldn't know it!

Any thoughts?
THANKS!

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Yet another Colby but my first
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 08:14:58 AM »
Ironically, I think it's likely that you *overpressed* it at the beginning.  A lot of people think that pressing is to expel whey.  It's not.  The whey will drain out without any help from you (if you cheddar curds you can see that process first hand!).  Pressing is simply to knit the curds.  If you press too much at the beginning the rind knits together and stops the cheese from draining.  No matter how much you press, the whey is trapped on the inside.  If there isn't enough salt to stop the starter culture from continuing to eat up the lactose in the whey, you end up with an acidic cheese that's wet and crumbly on the inside (which appears to be the problem).  I've found that Gianaclis Caldwell's instructions of pressing are right on:  Only press enough for whey to bead on the outside of the mold like beads of sweat.  If the whey is running, then you are pressing too hard.  After a few hours, you will find that most of the whey has come out and the cheese isn't shrinking any more.  At that point you can put as much weight on it as you want.  However, if the rind is closed, then you are only closing up mechanical holes on the inside -- and for a colby, my personal feeling is that it isn't necessary.  So you can get away with a *lot* less weight than you might imagine.

As for what to do with it how...  If you have the means to vacuum pack it, I would do so and leave it for another 2 months or so.  I think it will improve quite a bit.  Or you can use it in cooking for things where a fresh acidic cheese works well (Mexican dishes have a lot of such opportunities).

Offline smcatharine

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Re: Yet another Colby but my first
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
Thanks! I do remember at the 1st press there was too much whey coming out and I wanted to change lower the weight i used when the lever cracked and that distracted me.
I've had it in vac pac for the month and I repacked it and will hide it in the cheese fridge and maybe it will behave! Great idea about using it for Mexican recipes, etc.

Maybe that cheese knew I don't even really like Colby! I was making it for a friend.