Author Topic: First Jarlsberg  (Read 568 times)

Offline rukiddingme

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 3
  • Default personal text
First Jarlsberg
« on: June 01, 2020, 09:17:29 PM »
Hi all, first I want to thank each of you for providing support and insight to the success of my cheese as I learn this art.

I have taken to focusing on washed curd cheeses, particularly a Dutch style (Gouda-ish) and a Norwegian style (Jarlsberg-ish). After getting the basics down with the Gouda recipe (I have made five 4 Lbs wheels so far) I decided to try my hand at the Norwegian.

I just cut open my Norwegian cheese after a 5 month aging. I have to say it turned out great for my first attempt. I think making all that Gouda set me on a pretty decent method for making a washed curd cheese. I have included a few pictures of the Norwegian along with the make sheet.

I did not get much blooming but a bit swollen around the sides, and the holes are small. Some may be mechanical also I started the warm aging phase in vacuum seal bag but after 3 weeks I put it into a container with lid and aged an additional 4 weeks.

The aroma is what got me first, The P. Shermanii gave a noticeable nose with some sharp notes. After letting the cheese rest open at room temp for a bit I sliced the 4 Lbs. of yum. The cheese is firmer and slightly more rubbery then my Goudas. The paste holds together nice and I taste the nutty bite that you get with the Jarlsberg. There was a crack on a top edge which didn't seem to impact anything.

All in all a very successful cheese. I put 2 Lbs. back into the cave and will check it again in a month or two.

My next challenge is to start measuring my PH to improve consistency.

Cheers everyone
and AC4U

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: First Jarlsberg
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 11:17:45 AM »
Those pics look really good. Congrats on a successful make... and AC4U!

;)