Author Topic: Making half quantites.  (Read 2198 times)

Phooey

Making half quantites.
« on: June 05, 2020, 11:45:33 AM »
Guys, I am going to have a go at a stilton and have found a recipe I like to follow but only want to make a small amount.  The recipe starts with 8L of milk and I was thinking to use 4L.  The recipe calls for 90 minutes to set the curd but if I half the ingredients, do I still need 90 minutes to set a curd or does this need to be reduced too?  Also pressing time says 12 hours with about 4kg pressure.  Do I keep the 12 hours and 4kg?  I wouldn't want to over press and dry out the cheese too much.

Cheese guys

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: Making half quantites.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 07:26:44 PM »
I am no expert as you can see from my other posts on this forum, but I would halve the quantities of ingredients and not the timing or the weights.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 08:49:20 PM »
I once made a tomme with 1/2 a gallon just to see if it was possible. Temperature and times stay the same, weight is less because the form is smaller.
Susan

Phooey

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 09:30:13 PM »
I am no expert as you can see from my other posts on this forum, but I would halve the quantities of ingredients and not the timing or the weights.

Thanks

Phooey

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 09:30:46 PM »
I once made a tomme with 1/2 a gallon just to see if it was possible. Temperature and times stay the same, weight is less because the form is smaller.

Thanks … appreciate it.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 10:31:38 PM »
The only thing to keep in mind is that for a Stilton, shape matters.  If you make a very short blue cheese, it will be soft because the blue mold softens the paste.  Make sure your mold is small enough that the cheese is about the same height as the width.   This is actually my biggest problems for making blues at the moment (since I also like making small cheeses).

Phooey

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 10:58:40 PM »
The only thing to keep in mind is that for a Stilton, shape matters.  If you make a very short blue cheese, it will be soft because the blue mold softens the paste.  Make sure your mold is small enough that the cheese is about the same height as the width.   This is actually my biggest problems for making blues at the moment (since I also like making small cheeses).

Excellent.  Thanks for this.