Author Topic: Pepper Havarti...  (Read 1204 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Pepper Havarti...
« on: June 06, 2020, 09:50:37 PM »
The cheese I just called pepper jack will probably (hopefully) be quite similar to this one! Maybe I should just call them all washed curd.
Either way, this one is quite nice!
Susan

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Pepper Havarti...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 07:52:19 PM »
Hi scasnerkay,

Thanks for sharing the latest version of your make sheet.  I still am looking for a make sheet that will work for me and this one caught my eye as it is in a format that is easy for me to follow, compared to others I have tried.

I see it is a modified version of one of Caldwell's sample sheets.

I'm wondering if you type the info in during your make, or do you use hard copy "cheat sheets" and transfer the info over electronically after the make is finished?

Anyway, it was great timing for me to notice this so thank you again for sharing and please accept a cheese from me for posting it.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 04:47:47 AM »
I type it in real time, because if I wait I just don’t do it. I am glad you like it!
Susan

DrChile

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 04:42:45 PM »
I really like those sheets too...
I'm thinking of moving to electronic versions of my records as it's easier to keep track of and more importantly - my handwriting isn't that great  :D

Trent

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 03:59:06 AM »
It does help keep me organized! Otherwise I stopped keeping track at all. Some of the cheeses in the “cave” I could not figure out what they were. Ate them anyway!
Susan

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 09:48:42 PM »
I made my first Havarti the other day, and am curious about any "tips and tricks" when wheying off.  I was using Jersey milk which has a high yield of curd, and it was difficult to work around them to get the whey out.  Pouring did not work, as the curd kept trying to come with it.  Even ladling was difficult without smashing the curd.  It took me about 15-20 minutes to finally get almost the required amount out, and gave up with a pint left to go.  I'm assuming it's OK for this cheese to take that long with whey off, as the pH is not dropping very much at that point in time?  Any ideas on how to make this process a little easier and/or faster?

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 12:29:43 AM »
I do take a long time cutting down the curd in size which helps give the whey time to come out of the curd. If I am having a difficult time with sufficient removal of whey, I stir a bit more to help the curd release more whey. I push the curd away from one end to gradually sink a microperf form into the whey, creating a pool. Then I use a siphon used in winemaking to pull off whey.
Susan

Offline Susan38

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 07:54:28 PM »
Ah, yes, I see...I think I have a few things on hand to do something similar.  Thanks!

Offline pickles

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • ancient dabbler
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 08:32:07 PM »
When removing whey I sink a sieve part way in then scoop the whey out with a ladle.
I suppose a colander might also work, scooping out with a jug.

John@PC

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 07:35:57 PM »
I do take a long time cutting down the curd in size which helps give the whey time to come out of the curd.
Hi Susan.  Seems like I promised you a curd cutter 3 years ago :o.  Did you ever get it?

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 08:19:52 PM »
I sent you a PM as well. I am so very happy to see you post on the forum John.
Susan

John@PC

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 10:33:36 PM »
Thanks Susan, good to be back!  I'm not seeing your PM but there may be a delay.  Glad to see you're still making beautiful cheeses with that steam table pan and warmer :).

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 04:42:15 PM »
The cheese I just called pepper jack will probably (hopefully) be quite similar to this one! Maybe I should just call them all washed curd.
Either way, this one is quite nice!
Oooh, I like the look of this cheese! Nice pic...good lighting...I can pinch and get right in there. Well done, Susan. Have a cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.