Author Topic: Low Fat Cream Cheese Making Recipe  (Read 2481 times)

leedsfan

Low Fat Cream Cheese Making Recipe
« on: August 24, 2009, 07:10:27 PM »
I'm looking for a recipe that uses 2% milk with a small amount of cream, that produces a lower fat cream cheese product. At this time my milk source has lots of 2% free (leftover from separating cream/making butter), which I can use. She is also looking for me to make cream cheese. I know she'll have to supply me some cream, but does anyone have a recipe that would work for a lower fat version that would get me the desired result? I am going to use 8 liters of 2% milk per batch.

Cheese Head

Re: Low Fat Cream Cheese Making Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 11:01:14 PM »
Allen, I thought Neufchatel was basically a lower fat Cream Cheese, very similar in method and timings.

I've made several Neufchatels using whole milk, using 2% milk plus some cream should effectively give you the same.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 11:29:47 AM »
I was going to suggest Neufchatel also.  I make a lot of it and really like it a lot.  It makes great cheesecake, BTW.

leedsfan

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 09:08:41 PM »
Allen, I thought Neufchatel was basically a lower fat Cream Cheese, very similar in method and timings.

I've made several Neufchatels using whole milk, using 2% milk plus some cream should effectively give you the same.

Great. Thank you. I am using half cream, half milk for my recipe. Does the milk not need to be heated to 86? Because I'm starting with cooler milk that has been in bins with ice surrounding its bases (in sterilized glass jars) straight from the farm to keep them cool.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 09:45:37 PM »
leedsfan, if using raw milk, then you should I think be pasteurizing your milk and cream before using, especially when making a young unaged cheese like Neufchatel. After which you cool the milk and cream to normal renneting temperatures of 86-96F/30-36C depending on recipe (some cheeses I understand use rennet at slightly higher temperatures).

Hoping others can advise as I've never used raw milk.

hplace

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 11:06:40 PM »
The reason for pasteurizing the raw milk before making unaged soft cheeses is to extend the shelf life of the cheese. I think it also helps to produce the expected flavor since the added culture does not have to compete with the naturally occurring bacteria in the raw milk.

leedsfan

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 02:44:24 AM »
my main factor for using raw milk is that I am preparing cheeses for a herd share program, who specifically want raw milk cheeses.

So far the Chevre I made was mixed results. One batch didn't work while the other came out very well.

As for the cream cheese I will let you guys know tomorrow.

MrsKK

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 10:27:29 PM »
I use raw milk to make my Neufchatel, but it is my cow and I know my own milking practices and the state of her health, too.

leedsfan

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 05:01:53 PM »
I have been making successful batches of cream cheese now for many months, and wanted to update this post. I make cheese for a few families & friends. At this time the cream cheese has become very popular, even though the limited shelf life of the product requires relatively fast consumption (5-7 days) this doesn't seem to pose any problems for anyone eating it!

MrsKK

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 01:48:13 PM »
I'm glad you are having good results with your Neufchatel.  If you want to make larger batches, you can freeze it for later use.  I really only use frozen Neuf for baking/cooking and haven't tried it for other uses, though.

rhadon

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »
Can you give me/post a detailed recipe for your cream cheese. My first attempt was a little soury like yogart. I did not like the cheese.

Thanks

MrsKK

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 10:05:23 PM »
Check out the links in John's reply #1 above.