Author Topic: Vegeterian rennet powder... how much  (Read 569 times)

alphauk101

Vegeterian rennet powder... how much
« on: June 22, 2020, 07:23:54 AM »
Hi all, this is my first post :)
I'm having an issue trying to determine how much of this rennet to use, I was hoping that someone may have already had experience with this particular powder.
On all sources for this product the description reads:
"Great hard cheeses can also be made using this product, but since each type of hard cheese is different the optimum quantity of rennet powder required will need to be determined beforehand"

However, there seems to be no data regarding this rennet ie. IMCU etc. which as far as I can tell makes it impossible to determine anything!

here's the product: https://homesteadfarmsupplies.co.uk/vegetarian-rennet-powder-40g/

Hope you can help!

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Vegeterian rennet powder... how much
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 09:59:03 AM »
Oh... That looks interesting... especially at the price -- depending on the volume.  The ICMU standard says that 1000 ICMU of coagulant will coagulate 5 liters of milk (at a certain temperature and pH within a certain amount of time).  So, if we assume that 1 tsp coagulates 5 liters of milk, then it is 200 IMCU per ml of powder.  So basically you can use it at the same rate tsp per tsp as liquid normal rennet.  I would be tempted to weigh it, but it may actually be more convenient to measure it by volume.

You may need to play with the amounts, but that's a pretty nice find!

alphauk101

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2020, 11:54:07 AM »
I would say you answered that spot on! thank you.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 01:18:23 PM »
Except that it's wrong!  I'm an idiot  :-[

1000 IMCU coagulates *25* liters of milk.  So 1 ml of powder will coagulate 5 liters of milk!  Sorry about that!!!