Author Topic: Quark, but are there other options?  (Read 2202 times)

DrsFolly

Quark, but are there other options?
« on: July 03, 2020, 08:27:00 PM »
We have a small dairy and cultured butter is a big seller for us.  Quark is the byproduct.  We don't have a cream separator and so we vat pasteurize about 25 gallons of whole milk at a time, cool and pitch mesophilic cultures without rennet, and in about 48 hours we can skim off the cream for butter.  48 hours is enough time for the curd underneath to come together well enough to drain, the result is quark, a skimmed milk product made without rennet.  My sweet wife is after me to make something more spectacular out of the curd, although the quark is very good already.  I really don't know what else could be done without sacrificing some of the cream.  Any ideas?  I think Houston could come to love quark.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Quark, but are there other options?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 09:07:29 PM »
I think you would be thrilled with your improved yields if you invest in a cream separator. Letting cream rise in a bulk tank/pasteurizer only gives you about half the butterfat (in my experience).  And your cream will be thicker and churn more easily.
With skim or partial skim you can make Greek yogurt, skyr, cottage cheese, grana-style cheeses and kefir or other meso cultured drinkable dairy products.