Author Topic: Cheeses similar to parmigiano-reggiano?  (Read 1561 times)

MimiNuyasaka

Cheeses similar to parmigiano-reggiano?
« on: July 05, 2020, 11:08:52 AM »
Parmigiano-reggiano is my favorite cheese, but unfortunately, despite not being lactose intolerant, it greatly upsets my stomach for some reason. I can only guess as to why, maybe it's because of the unique bacteria that real parmigiano-reggiano is made with. Sometimes I bite the bullet and eat it anyway because I love it that much.

Is there anything similar I can buy that hopefully won't upset my stomach?

Apologies if this is the wrong board for questions like that but I didn't see anywhere else to ask.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: Cheeses similar to parmigiano-reggiano?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 11:15:23 AM »
Did you get tested for what the problem might be?

Parmesan is made from cow's milk. Did you try Romano? It's made from Sheep's milk but otherwise is similar?

At one of the cheese shows I attended a couple of years ago, I tasted a parmesan-like cheese made from goat's milk. Do not remember who it was who made it. Also, it is likely to be quite expensive... however that is another avenue as goat milk and sheep milk will have different chemistries.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 12:28:57 PM »
Parmigiano reggiano isn't actually made with any exotic bacteria.  It's just a thermophilic culture which is literally yogurt.

The two main things that seem likely are histamines and sulphites.  Both of these show up in fermented and aged products.  Because pamigiano reggiano is very long aged it can build up quite a large amount of these things.  Do you have problems with any other really long aged cheeses (for example 1 or 2 year old gouda or cheddar)?  How about other fermented products?  Some people also apparently have tyramine allergies or take perscription drugs known as monoamine oxidase inhibitors (for depression) which inhibit the breakdown of tyramine.  In those cases you are urged to avoid aged cheeses.

But I'm really stretching here...

MimiNuyasaka

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 01:34:19 PM »
Parmigiano reggiano isn't actually made with any exotic bacteria.  It's just a thermophilic culture which is literally yogurt.

The two main things that seem likely are histamines and sulphites.  Both of these show up in fermented and aged products.  Because pamigiano reggiano is very long aged it can build up quite a large amount of these things.  Do you have problems with any other really long aged cheeses (for example 1 or 2 year old gouda or cheddar)?  How about other fermented products?  Some people also apparently have tyramine allergies or take perscription drugs known as monoamine oxidase inhibitors (for depression) which inhibit the breakdown of tyramine.  In those cases you are urged to avoid aged cheeses.

But I'm really stretching here...

I thought "real" parmigiano-reggiano is made with bacteria only found in in Italy, and I do buy the imported stuff, but to answer your question, no, I don't have problems with gouda or cheddar, or any other kinds of cheese that I've tried, unless you count cheeses made with penicillium molds because I'm allergic to that if it's used in large quantities.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2020, 05:22:05 AM »
Well, yes and no.  Parmigiano Reggiano is made with raw milk.  They innoculate the milk with the whey from the previous batch.  So essentially, a long time ago they would have soured the milk naturally and made cheese from it.  Because parmesan is heated to 55 C during the make process, only a very few bacteria survive. They put the whey from that into the new milk and repeat the process.  Over time, the whey builds up this bacteria that can survive 55 C (which you can buy -- it's TA61 from Danisco Choozit).  But it's just a particular strain of strepocarpus thermophilus (ST).  ST (in various strains) is the main acidifying culture for literally every thermophilic yogurt on the planet.  It would be *really* weird if you were allergic to a single strain of ST and not to others (not to mention that TA61 is often used in commercial yogurt as well).  If I were to guess the problem you are having it would be histamines....

What I recommend is to pick up some TA61, make yogurt from it and see if it causes problems.  If not, then do a parmesan recipe, but eat it young (like after a couple of weeks).  If that's not a problem, then make one and age it for a little longer.  Finally, try aging one out to over a year.   My guess is you will have no problems unless you age it out to 1.5 years or more, so that would allow you to have a decent parmesan style cheese.  It won't be as good as real Permigiano Reggiano (it's a difficult cheese to make at the best of times and it benefits greatly from making a large size -- which is not really feasible for the home maker).  But probably you can make something that is very good with practice.