Author Topic: Buying forms/hoops/molds for 20lb cheese wheels (Daisy molds)  (Read 1356 times)

nathanieldchu

I'm looking for perhaps 5 molds for larger wheels of hard cheese, around 20lbs. Does anyone have a good source? I believe they are sometimes called Daisy Hoops or similar. Thank you!!

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
Re: Buying forms/hoops/molds for 20lb cheese wheels (Daisy molds)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 02:26:28 AM »
20 lbs all together or 20 lbs each mold?  I use kadova molds with the nets there pricey but nice.  There is also stainless block molds that work good. 

nathanieldchu

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 04:54:12 PM »
20lbs per mold. So to make a cheese wheel that weighs 20lbs. I've found that there are many suppliers for molds for small cheese wheels (<10lbs) and many for Wilson/block style molds (40lbs). But I'm having trouble finding molds to make larger wheels, like Cabot's clothbound cheddar or similar.

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 06:51:51 PM »
Dairy connection has larger kadova molds probably have to call unless you have a business account. 

Another place to try would be ullmers dairy equipment I know they have 20 lb Wilson style they might have have or can build what you want. 

https://www.cstainlessllc.com/cheese-equipment
This company has what they call a truckle mold which I've heard cheddar round called a truckle before so that might also be a place to check. 

For my largest round molds I've cut the rim off a 5 gallon bucket and use it like a traditional alpine mold without the adjustment. 

Hope your able to find what your looking for 5 molds 20 lbs a piece that's alot of cheese are you a comercial producer?
(Pictured are my bucket mold alpine style cheese)

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 10:12:05 PM »
Cheese Connection has large molds that can either be used with cheesecloth or netting liners. I like the liners.
https://cheeseconnection.net/product/tome-mold-follower-lid/
They're on sale right now. It says up to 18# but I think you could squeeze 20# in.
Otherwise your best bet is the Italian molds from Glengarry. I don't like them though as you need a full 20+ pounds (maybe even 25? Call them) for them to work. You need an extra mold as a follower for each stack of wheels (so if you stack 2-3 cheeses you will need 5+2 = 7 molds).

nathanieldchu

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 04:24:16 PM »
@Chetty Those cheeses look awesome! Thanks for the tips on suppliers, I'll follow up with them. I'm looking to perhaps go into commercial production, but still experimenting with some alterations.

@Bantams Thanks! Good finds!