Author Topic: Mozzarella: difference between Lactic acid recipe and Citric acid recipe?  (Read 1101 times)

onhorizon

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a mozzarella recipe and I see there are two main types:
  • Lactic acid recipes which use a Thermophilic Starter Culture and which seem to be more complex than...
  • Citric acid recipes which seem to be quite simple (30 minutes mozzarella recipes can be found on youtube for instance

I am simply wondering whether the extra effort is worth it? has anyone tried both to see if there are notable differences flavor and texture wise?

Thanks

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Mozzarella: difference between Lactic acid recipe and Citric acid recipe?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 09:08:05 AM »
Personally, I think the lactic (traditional) method is better than the quick method.  Part of the problem with the quick method is that it fails for incredibly vague reasons.  So you'll be there with your cheese and it won't stretch, but you won't have any idea why.  The vast majority of people fail to make quick mozzarella.  Sometimes (because the planets are aligned) it just works and if it does, it's not difficult.  But if it doesn't you're left staring at a blob of unstretchy cheese (at best).

The traditional method is how real mozzarella producers make mozzarella cheese.  You have control over the process because you can test the cheese periodically to see if it is ready to stretch.  However, it is *still* a very tricky cheese to make.  If you are a beginner, I highly recommend trying several different kinds of cheese first before attempting mozzarella.  This will allow you to get an understanding of the process and what everything is supposed to look like.

Jeannie

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 02:54:28 PM »
I use the citric acid method.  The milk is the most important factor in how the cheese stretches.  After trying 7 different brands of milk with no success, I found an non homogenized milk.  Here in my area its called Strauss.  I look for the freshest date.  Its unbelievable after constant fails with all the other milks, I now make nice stretching delicious cheese over and over easily.

Offline Scarlettbri12

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 14
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:58:11 PM »
If you have Gianaclis Caldwell's book, I highly recommend trying her hybrid method! Its a bit quicker than the traditional, and provides MUCH more flavor than the 30 minute method. Bonus: depending on the meso culture used, sometimes it leaves a more buttery note that obviously isn't a normal part of the flavor profile for mozz, but something I actually really enjoy :)