Author Topic: Early Parmesan Reveal  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
Early Parmesan Reveal
« on: September 11, 2020, 11:21:16 PM »
I know I should wait at least a year for a Parmesan, but after 10 months, I could no longer contain my (im)patience. My excuse is that I have two other Parmesans that will come up on their anniversary in the next few months.

The moment of truth . . .

The paste is very dense, only a bit crumbly, and (as I discovered later) so dense that it wasn't easy to grate!

But, you ask, how did it taste?

Pretty good. More lactic/sour than I would have wished for (probably because of my impatience), but with definite tastes of the sweet/nutty flavor, and the gritty texture of a Parmesan. The paste next to the rind is milder, and the rind itself is nearly impossible to chew through, so that's definitely Parmesan-y.

It's no Parmigiano-Reggiano, but my slight disappointment just makes me look forward to what t'other two will be like in a few months, and I think I'll leave one of them for 18 months.

Tomorrow this will get the acid test in a spaghetti carbonara, but tonight I used it on a salad:

Chayote, Tomato and Corn Salad in a Cider Vinaigrette:

Yum!

-L

Jeannie

Re: Early Parmesan Reveal
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 02:32:32 AM »
Looks wonderful. Great Job! Let us know how the acid test goes.

Offline Lancer99

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 04:44:52 PM »
I hope it's okay to post external links: https://tiabr.com/making-spaghetti-carbonara/

-L

not_ally

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 11:58:07 AM »
That is very hungry-making, Lancer!