Author Topic: Resting the Curds - How Long?  (Read 1628 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Resting the Curds - How Long?
« on: October 05, 2020, 06:05:51 PM »
I have spent the last couple of days searching the Forum for information about the Flocculation method and the corresponding optimal curd size for each multiple.... I think I am getting a basic understanding of not only how to do it, but why it is important.... The last cheese I made, a Monterey Jack, had a Floc. time (spinning bowl method) of 10:30, and I cut the curds at 3.5 times that (37 min.) and they were the nicest, most uniform I have had so far.... I did a "clean break" test, just for comparison, and it looked great, so I guess no surprise.... I get it that moister cheeses should have a greater Floc. multiple, and a larger curd size, while drier cheeses should have the curd cut sooner and smaller, that all makes sense to me now....

My question is about the "rest period" for the curds after cutting, but before cooking them.... Recipes vary greatly, some don't even have a rest period, while others leave the curds for up to 40 minutes to "heal".... I am pretty sure I have seen what happens if you stir the curds too soon, they break easily into smaller pieces before they have a chance to shrink and discharge much whey.... It seems to me that a longer resting period results in more uniform curd size at the end of the cooking (or washing) process.... Is there a optimum rest period?.... Does it vary with curd size?.... Does the length of time you rest the curds affect the outcome, and if so, how?....

Bob
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
Re: Resting the Curds - How Long?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 06:30:51 PM »
Most recipes for large scale batches don't rest the curds. That step seems to be unique to recipes for home cheesemakers. When you have a vat that is 2-3' deep, the immense weight of whey on the curds makes them clump readily if they are not stirred continuously. And so the curds are cut to size and then stirred straight through the cooking process.
The exception would be for high moisture uncooked cheeses like Camembert style, feta, blues, etc. The curd is cut very large (1-3"), rested, then typically scooped into the molds. But any of the typical cooked curd cheeses that have a small curd cut size (Tomme, Colby, Alpine style, etc) do just fine if cut and then stirred immediately after.