Author Topic: Bufallo raw milk mozarella  (Read 916 times)

Doru

Bufallo raw milk mozarella
« on: October 11, 2020, 01:11:04 PM »
Anybody have a recipe for quick Mozzarella with buffalo raw milk? I tried 4 times and failed each time. Do I need to increase the citric acid amount? Please help.

Offline mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Bufallo raw milk mozarella
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 03:03:49 AM »
Honestly, you won't be able to find anyone who can answer your question.  The amount of acid you need is entirely dependent upon the milk you are using.  Without access to your milk, nobody will know how much acid to use.  This is why "quick" mozzarella is really not a great way to make mozzarella.  Don't get me wrong: it's an *awesome* hack, but it is not how you make mozzarella normally.  There are ways to figure out if you are too acidic or not acidic enough (including buying a pH meter), but I think it's not really worth pursuing (YMMV).

Instead, do a traditional cultured mozzarella.  If you are going to the trouble of getting raw buffalo milk, then make it properly to begin with.  When you do a cultured mozzarella, the start culture slowly acidifies the milk.  You can periodically take a small amount of cheese and see if it stretches.  When it stretches well, you are good to go.  Once you figure out how your milk works, you can get a good idea of how long you have to wait and you won't have to do so many stretch tests.