Author Topic: Bad bacteria issue in crescenza? Ie; trash or stash?  (Read 1864 times)

not_ally

Bad bacteria issue in crescenza? Ie; trash or stash?
« on: November 13, 2020, 12:03:47 PM »
Hello all,

I made a batch of crescenza yesterday and am a little worried about it.  I bought the milk yesterday from the afternoon milk truck (not sure how long it takes from milking to when it gets to me.)  Then made a batch of feta first, so it probably sat for about three hours before I thermized it and another couple before I started the make, five hours total.  And again, not quite sure how long before that on the truck.

This is my fifth batch of crescenza, and it doesn't look like the rest, it is riddled with small holes. Previous ones had a few, not like this. It doesn't taste or smell off, though, I tried a small piece this morning (no ill results from that.)  The feta is perfectly fine, looks and tastes good. Would someone mind taking a look at this picture and tell me if they think it's probably safe to eat in greater quantities or if I should just trash it?

Offline pickles

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • ancient dabbler
Re: Bad bacteria issue in crescenza? Ie; trash or stash?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 02:37:24 PM »
I believe that in America the legal position is that cheese over 60 days old will no longer contain viable pathogens.
By that criteria I suppose that if you age your cheese for that said period your cheese should/could be 'safe'?

Personally, if it smells okay, tastes okay and continues that way and if a small quantity does not upset your system, then I would carefully and experimentally try a little more. I say this, in this modern world, where everyone it seems, is liable for what may befall another, on the understanding that I accept no responsibility for any result of following any of my advice that I may have given, or will give. Personally I myself would be trying another bite.

The first cheesemaker who somehow created Stilton must have wondered what to do with it. Did he feed it to his partner, with murderous intentions, or eat huge slices in a suicidal bid to end things once and for all? Surely he wouldn't have broken off a chunk off bread and generously spooned on the smelly stuff thinking, you know this might actually taste really good?

Here's a cheese for your cheese.

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 03:51:57 PM »
Coliform - trash it. I'm sorry! Milk needs to be kept super cold unless it has culture in it. Letting it sit around first was definitely enough to let the bad bacteria get out of hand.

not_ally

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 06:25:40 PM »
I had a feeling this was a bad one, thanks Bantams. Pickles, you are a compassionate man, I know you gave me the cheese because of pity for that thing. I'm throwing out the crescenza, but keeping yours! I'm not proud, I'll take my cheeses where I can get 'em :)