Author Topic: Settled on a Cream Cheese Recipe - With Bonus Sour Cream!  (Read 2218 times)

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 54
  • Too many hobbies - too little time!
Settled on a Cream Cheese Recipe - With Bonus Sour Cream!
« on: November 23, 2020, 06:50:50 PM »
We started with the basic recipe in Ricki's book, where she states 2 qts. "half and half" or "light cream" and her prepacked mesophilic cultures.... The first time we used half and half (10% BF), and it was good, yielding about 2 lbs.... The second time we used 18% "coffee cream", and the yield was fabulous (nearly 2.5 lbs.), but almost too rich.... The third time we used a litre of each, so 14% BF average, and we used MM 100 culture, and got exactly 1 kg. (2.2 lbs) yield, and a nice buttery flavour and creamy consistency.... This time we tried the NEC Buttermilk culture, as suggested in Jim Wallace's online recipe, and the aroma and taste was even better.... We are using 12 hr. for the ripening time (it sets the curd in 8 hrs. at 86*F), and 12 hrs. for the draining time (at 72*F)....

We are adding 1/2 tbsp (1.5 tsp) of salt to the drained cheese, dividing the batch in half, and adding 2 tsp. of Onion powder and 1 tsp. of Dill to one batch, and 1 tsp. of Garlic powder and 1 tsp. of "Italian" seasoning to the other batch.... They are both wonderful on crackers or bagels, and the Onion/Dill is fabulous on salmon sandwiches.... This cream cheese spreads well, straight out of the fridge.... and it keeps about 3 weeks....  8)

Bob
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 05:00:20 AM by rsterne »
Cheesemaking has rekindled our love of spending time together, Diane and me!

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
Re: Settled on a Cream Cheese Recipe - With Bonus Sour Cream!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 06:12:15 PM »
A while ago we realized that before draining, but after coagulation, you have Sour Cream!.... Since a 2 litre batch produced a bit more cream cheese than we could consume before it went off, and we need a steady supply of Sour Cream, we have come up with the perfect solution.... We make a batch using 1 litre of 10% and 1 litre of 18%, ripen it, remove 1/3 of the total for Sour Cream, and then let the rest drain overnight for Cream Cheese!.... This gives us 2/3 litre of Sour Cream, and two 1/3 litre batches of Cream Cheese (flavoured differently) each make.... This is perfect for our requirements....

On last nights make, we just tried increasing the ripening time to 14 hrs., which makes the Sour Cream just slightly more tart.... We start the make at 8 AM and removed the Sour Cream and start draining at 10 PM.... After draining overnight (10-12 hrs) the consistency for the Cream Cheese is perfect....

Bob
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 06:28:21 PM by rsterne »

Jeannie

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 01:51:00 AM »
This is a great idea.  I book marked this and will try it.  Thank you!

Offline rsterne

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 06:03:42 PM »
I forgot to post a photo of how we drain our Cream Cheese.... Molly, our Chocolate Lab photobombed me!....  8)

I drilled 2 holes in the top of a 5 gallon pail and installed a cable tie to form a loop.... That gives me a place to tie the bag of cheesecloth when draining anything.... The advantage is that the cheese is covered to protect it while draining, and the whey simply collects in the bucket....

We spooned off about 1/4 of the batch we made last night for Sour Cream, and used the rest for Cream Cheese.... Here is a photo of the yield from 2 litres of cream....

We then salt the Cream Cheese and divide it into 2 batches, flavour one with Onion & Dill, and the other with Garlic & Italian seasoning.... Now if you will excuse me, Molly is waiting to clean out the bowl....  ::)

Bob