Author Topic: Recipes with pH indications  (Read 2165 times)

Offline salty_curd

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Recipes with pH indications
« on: December 02, 2020, 06:33:30 PM »
Hi folks,

I would like to find recipes with pH indications. Does anyone have recommendations of where (books or online) such recipes exist? I have seen one or two recipes with pHs mentioned, but I am looking for something a little more systematic.

Thanks saltily,
AD

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Re: Recipes with pH indications
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 12:33:31 PM »
Search on this forum. Many of the recipes posted here have exactly that information.

not_ally

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 06:52:27 AM »
I recently posted with some info I'd found about PH targets. Debi's chart is especially good. I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for but hopefully a start. Also, you've posted this in the non-cheese related board, maybe more responses if you move it to one of the sub forums in general cheesemaking?

Here's the link: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,19158.0.html
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 01:10:08 AM by mexicalidesi »

Offline salty_curd

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 06:34:49 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Mexicalidesi! The table you posted (from Debi) is really helpful.
I was vacillating between using pHs in recipes or just trying visuals and I think I know what I want to try now...
And you're in Kerala! I grew up with Keralites (but in Bombay).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 06:54:55 PM by salty_curd »

Offline Bantams

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 28
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 08:22:04 PM »
Focus on pH targets for cheeses that develop a fair amount of acidity in the vat (vs in the mold/press). Alpine and Grana cheeses have so little pH development in the vat that it's not really necessary to track. And lactic cheeses essentially bottom out acidity-wise, so you can usually just go off of curd texture and aroma.
Cheeses in the middle realm like Cheddar, Tomme, Gouda, etc are the ones you'll want to track. And mozz. 

not_ally

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 05:20:42 AM »
Like everyone that is part of the desi diaspora, I have uncles/aunties/cousins in Canada, too, fertile Mallu territory! Kerala is not the greatest place to make cheese, most people go "ew" at anything other than paneer or the Amul plastic ones. And as far as I know, I am the only person making blues in the whole country! I hope they vac pac/freeze well :)

Offline salty_curd

• Young Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 01:54:28 PM »
Thanks Bantam, that makes sense since I'm mainly having trouble with the taste of cheddar and gouda.  I'll have to get a pH meter if I continue making these!