Author Topic: Multicooker Cheese  (Read 1765 times)

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
Multicooker Cheese
« on: December 07, 2020, 12:29:41 PM »
Culture Magazine recently had mentioned a book that discusses how to make cheese in the multicooker appliance. I have a birthday coming up and one of my son's saw that, and knowing my hobby, got it for me, as well as the 3 quart stainless steel pot insert that is the only other requirement.

All the cheeses listed in the book are fresh lactic acid makes. Here is a picture of the first attempt for what she calls a "herb wheel". I made it with 3 tablespoons of chopped up basil from our garden. This is half of the 12 Ounce make, decorated with edible flowers. It is spreadable and tastes best on toast served cold and drizzled with honey.

Yum!!

not_ally

Re: Multicooker Cheese
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 01:33:43 AM »
That is beautiful! What is the name of that book? I have an Instant Pot and recently got excited when I thought I could use it to make mother cultures using the yogurt function. Then less excited when I realized it would only work with thermos, which I have not been using, because of ripening temps.

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 03:23:59 AM »
The book is Instant Pot Cheese - by Claudia Lucero.

Susan

not_ally

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 11:39:49 AM »
Thanks, Susan!

Offline SDmilkmaid

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 08:29:03 PM »
Meso mother cultures I just do at room temp.  Your room temp might be a little high, but it should still work, I think.
Rachel

not_ally

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 01:40:53 AM »
I did do a little batch previously at room temp, and it did work but went up by a couple of degrees because it sat at RT for so long.  I thought the IP might hold the heat at temp better because it's so well insulated. But all good, as long as it works I can stretch out my precious mesos for as long as possible.