Author Topic: Cream Cheese with Herbs and Garlic (Gavin's "Boursin" recipe)  (Read 2842 times)

DanielCoffey

Cream Cheese with Herbs and Garlic (Gavin's "Boursin" recipe)
« on: December 11, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »
I am delighted to report that my very first attempt at making any sort of cheese at home has been a complete success. I started with Gavin Webber's "Boursin" cream cheese recipe from his YouTube channel and apart from one adjustment to the seasoning it worked very well.

Ingredients :

2L whole Cow milk (low temperature pasteurised, non-homogenised)
1 cup creme fraiche
3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp veg. rennet in 1/4 cup non-chlorinated water
1/2 cup cream, whipped
1 tbsp sea salt
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tbsp dried parsley
2 tbsp dried chives

I followed Gavin's method completely apart from an extended draining time of 2h30m and I adjusted the final seasoning.

I was concerned that my cream cheese yield was unexpectedly low compared to what Gavin demonstrated so I cut back the garlic and herbs. After discussion it appears that my yield of 440g of well drained cream cheese from 2L of acidfied cow's milk was not unreasonable. As a beneficial side effect it appears that the amount of garlic as specified might have been on the strong side so my finished cheese was nice and mild.

I used a pair of paper-lined cylinder moulds that were 9cm i.d. and while they were far too high for this amount of cheese, it packed down nicely and a paper disk on top of the cheese allowed me to flatten the top surface.

After refrigeration they were very firm with no sign of sagging but still spread well.

Offline pickles

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • ancient dabbler
Re: Cream Cheese with Herbs and Garlic (Gavin's "Boursin" recipe)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 05:34:59 PM »
Congratz on a good result and thanks for letting us see the recipe and photo of your cheese.
Here's a cheese for your cheese.

I made something similar and transferred it to a kilner jar kept in the fridge. I've been having a generous spoonful on toast for breakfast every morning. Goes well on multigrain crackers too.

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »
First of all, AC4U for your first success. It's always a good feeling, isn't it, to enjoy the fruits of your labor?   ;)

It also drives us to other endeavors...

DanielCoffey

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 04:52:56 PM »
It was delicious! We shared half of one of them with a neighbour, ate the rest of that one yesterday, savaged the other one today and will polish it off tomorrow.

Maybe the homemade Rosemary and Thyme Flatbread Crackers were a mistake?

Offline pickles

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • ancient dabbler
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 06:03:46 PM »
Is a recipe for 'homemade Rosemary and Thyme Flatbread Crackers' a possibility?
I for one could use such a thing...

DanielCoffey

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 06:35:34 PM »
Done... in the Favourite Recipes section. The Pinch of Yum blog which I linked is a nice read.