Author Topic: Saint Marcellin (1st make)  (Read 1921 times)

Offline salty_curd

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Saint Marcellin (1st make)
« on: December 15, 2020, 11:15:20 PM »
I have benefitted from reading posts on this forum and wanted to give back a little, even if I am relatively new to cheesemaking. This is my first longish post so, you know, be indulgent. What I like about this board (versus Fbook groups, for instance) is the sustained conversation and engagement with figuring things out ;)

This make was done with pasteurised, homogenised milk, 3.25% fat content. Although I usually use non-homogenised milk, I wanted to see what my options would be if, say, the farm down the road went out of business. This recipe follows NEC's general instructions, with a few modifications to fit my schedule:

Saint Marcellin (6 weeks to table)

2L homogenised, pasteurised 3.25% cow’s milk
1/64 tsp MM101
1/128 tsp GEO17
3 drops rennet, diluted
(consider adding CaCl2, although I did not do so for this make)
salt

Day one :
15h30 - Heat milk to 22C and add both cultures
17h - Coagulate with rennet

Day two :
17h – Cut curds vertically into 1inch squares; no horizontal cuts; twist pot; sit for 5 mins; then ladle in 2 small moulds
18h – first flip in mould
19h – second flip in mould
20h – third flip and drain overnight at 22C
(The cheese is really fragile and sticks to my hands. I did not use CaCl2, so this is to be expected. Next experiment with CaCl2)

Day three:
9h – salting one side (1/4 tsp)
14h – salting other side (1/4 tsp)
19h – remove and drain on mats at 22C

Day four and beyond:
Move to colder space (11C) and high humidity (90-95% RH).
Flip 1-2 times per day for 12-15 days. (At 5-7 days, surface should become greasy; at 12-15 days, there should be light dusting of white mould).
After 12-15 days, transfer into ceramic bowls and wrap with breathable film.
Ready after an additional month of aging.

Notes:
-   Good cheese to make in summer when room temperature is warm.
-   Uses homogenized milk (easy to procure)

Here are some preliminary photos (at 10 days; at 12 days). I will post others when cheese has matured fully.

not_ally

Re: Saint Marcellin (1st make)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 04:59:57 AM »
Salty curd, thanks for posting such detailed  information your make. I love reading about other people's,  they're like little stories. Even the ones where something goes wrong (sometimes that information is even more useful, when you get discussion about what happened/ how to fix.)  Please do update if you have a chance. ACFU!

ETA: I recently posted a chaouce recipe from an amazing cheesemaker named Yoav that used to post here a lot on the reddit cheesemaking board.  They are very similar cheeses, so a lot of the information from that recipe is relevant and might be helpful, I think.  If you're interested, here's the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/cheesemaking/comments/kc87mn/st_maure_de_touraine_experiment_i_used_a_juice/
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 05:15:44 AM by mexicalidesi »