Author Topic: Wash day  (Read 925 times)

Offline Mornduk

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • Default personal text
Wash day
« on: January 18, 2021, 12:34:55 AM »
Today I got my girls to help washing and oiling some cheeses, it was kind of special since three of them are failures-in-waiting koji experiments, and the rest were either getting their last coat ever or switching from daily to weekly or weekly to monthly. Also special since we woke up to a flooded house from a pipe burst in Dec31 (2020 was not a good year), and the contractors tore down everything in the house except the bedrooms and the garage. No kitchen no cheese-making, and my farmer had decided to dry her cows anyway. But the weekly cheese-making seems to be too much of a tradition in my house so we habilitated part of the garage and found another source of raw milk so we only lost one week :)

Top, clockwise from top left corner: 191 day Alpkäse (last wash for this one), 51-day Tête de Moine (I'll cut it in half so it fits my girolle), 8-day Koji-infused-milk Alpkäse, 30-day Alpkäse, 72-day Appenzeller, Amazake-washed Alpkäse (straight from the brine)
Bottom, same order: 64-day Saint Paulin, 204-day ewe-milk Manchego, 86-day Mahón, 21-day Manchego, 16-day Emmentaler with Shio Koji bandage, 93-day Alpkäse

Offline SDmilkmaid

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Re: Wash day
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 03:11:12 AM »
Very nice! Good to hear you are making it a family affair. My kids help a bit with chores, skimming milk, and sometimes stirring cheese, but they still find it hard to get a 5 gallon pot stirred!
Rachel

not_ally

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 03:25:24 AM »
Oh no, that sounds like such a PITA, the pipe and huge repair. It is good to hear of your girls shaping up to be second generation cheesemakers. They must know so much already.

jodud

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 12:12:20 AM »
Hi,

these cheese look delicious, a very impressive collection!

Kind regards,
JD