Author Topic: Does anyone have a Tvorog recipe?  (Read 1965 times)

GoatsRule

Does anyone have a Tvorog recipe?
« on: February 21, 2021, 12:11:44 AM »
Hi,

I am looking for a Tvorog recipe using a starter and rennet (not kefir or buttermilk) and can't find the one I had saved. 

I do have kefir and buttermilk, just wanted to try the other recipe I didn't save where I can find it. 

Suggestions?  I can't remember how to convert kefir or buttermilk to a mesophilic culture. 

Thanks in advance!

Tracy

Online mikekchar

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 118
  • Default personal text
Re: Does anyone have a Tvorog recipe?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 05:51:01 AM »
Both kefir and buttermilk contain mesophilic cultures.  Kefir also contains a lot of other bacteria and yeast as well.  I've never used kefir in cheese, but if I ever get my hands on some I would probably make some kefir, add the kefir without the grains to some milk, hold it at room temperature for 15-24 hours and then use the resultant yogurt.  That should optimise for the organisms you want.  You can add live buttermilk directly, but again, I would add some buttermilk to some milk, hold it at room temperature for 15-24 hours and the the resultant yogurt.  The advantage of doing this is that you know the starter culture you are adding is fresh and healthy.  I actually do this even with DVI cultures.

One thing people are often confused about are "cultures" and "yogurt" or "buttermilk".  They are one and the same.  The DVI cultures you buy in packages are just freeze dried yogurt.  Buttermilk is a set of mesophilic cultures -- in fact Flora Danica is a pretty typical buttermilk culture.

I have no idea how to make Tvorog, but it looks a little tricky.  If you find a recipe, please share.

InTheWoods

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 06:10:14 PM »
I used to watch my grandmother make tvorog when I was young.  She would heat milk to lukewarm, add buttermilk, turn off the heat and let it ferment for a day or two depending on ambient temperature, so it's just a soft lactic cheese, much like ricotta in texture, but with lactic cheese flavor. She never used rennet.  Some of her friends used yogurt for the culture instead of buttermilk.  They never used rennet either.  One of them used to heat the curd to very warm but not boiling once the curd was set, then drained it.  It made a firmer and drier tvorog than my grandmother's, more of a cottage cheese-like texture.  Each of them claimed they made real authentic Russian tvorog  ::).

I have seen tvorog on sale in San Francisco under Pavel's brand and to me, it just seems to be a more expensive ricotta.

Like any ethnic food product, there are a thousand different versions, many of them very similar to each other.  I would play around with it and work out a version that you like and that works in your cooking and then it will be your unique tvorog.  If you want to use rennet, I would probably use a drop or two per gallon of milk.  I really liked my grandmother's tvorog because it had a buttery flavor to it, so like mikekchar said, Flora Danica would be a good culture to try, or just use a buttermilk that you especially like. Good luck!

Offline MacGruff

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 12:31:53 PM »
If you have one of the Multicookers (Instant-Pot and their ilk) there is a recipe for Tvorog in the Claudia Lucero book. It starts out with Cultured Buttermilk and does not use Rennet. The whole process looks like it will take less than an hour.

This cheese is one that I have wanted to make for a while as we have some Russian friends who use Tvorog in some cookies and Pierogies that we love!